Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: what is with ultra light backpacking

Tracker
    Thanks

Question what is with ultra light backpacking

I keep seeing all this mombo jumbo about ultra-light backpacking what happened to the 45 -60 lb pack and sucking it up. ( I don't mean to come off as a tool) My pack in the Marines was that much every time we went any where and that didn't account for ammo or all that so is it a fad or is it the evolution of gear. I understand minimalist packing but why suffer, now don't get me wrong i would say I'm a bit of a pack rat. Any input would be great cause I'm not getting it.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wonderboy0817 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Interesting first post on a bushcraft forum. You might get a better response or more responses on an UL backpacking forum.

Nevertheless, I'll give you my $0.02.

You said, "... why suffer ...." Why suffer, indeed? I carried a heavy pack in the military as well. Considerable suffering went along with carrying that pack. You said it yourself, we had to "suck it up" and carry those heavy packs.

Although I'm not an ultra-light guy myself (at least by those who proclaim to be ultra-light guys), I can see some of the appeal. Go lightly. Utilize your skills to meet your needs rather than utilizing a ton of stuff carried on your back.

Try an overnight in the woods with just your knife and what you can carry in your pockets some time. There's freedom in going lightly if you allow it.

For the UL guys that are trying to shave ounces off their pack by spending hundreds of dollars, my typical counsel is that you can more cost-effectively shave a few pounds by losing a bit of your own body weight. For me, it's not about spending a lot of money to have a similar size pack that weighs three ounces less. It's about challenging myself to thrive in the bush with as little as possible that doesn't come from the bush itself.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,019 Posts

For many, it's about covering more ground more comfortably. For some, as the years go by, it becomes more difficult to haul the loads of one's youth. As with anything, the reasons are many and varied. Do some people go to extremes just to prove that they can? Of course they do. Personally, I think each has to find his/her own balance between pack weight and comfort. If I'm planning a 50-mile hike over 2 days, I'm NOT carrying a 45-60lb pack, that's for sure.

So, I wouldn't say that it's "mombo jumbo"; rather, I think it's a case of "different strokes for different folks".

IMHO, the most important thing is that you're getting out and enjoying yourself without sacrificing safety.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beacon For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Default The Go-Lite Crowd...

Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy0817 View Post
    I keep seeing all this mombo jumbo about ultra-light backpacking what happened to the 45 -60 lb pack and sucking it up. ( I don't mean to come off as a tool) My pack in the Marines was that much every time we went any where and that didn't account for ammo or all that so is it a fad or is it the evolution of gear. I understand minimalist packing but why suffer, now don't get me wrong i would say I'm a bit of a pack rat. Any input would be great cause I'm not getting it.
    have their own philosophy/strategy/niche market...out here in CA, there's a huge market of people that count ounces in every aspect of their life! IIRC, the magic # that some of them shoot for for backpacking the Sierra's is 27lbs. for fast and comfortable tripping...

Regards,

Tony

Thanks

Well, since light discipline is not part of bushcraft (per se). We can pretty much throw out the "pack light, freeze at night" mantra that we learned in The Corps. Also, some people like to change things up and offer themselves a new challenge.

By the way, what kind of New Age crud is calling The Corps "the Marines", when I was on active duty that would have at least merritted a machine gun fighting position. Marines is what civilians called our fine Corps.

JMO, freely offered and worth exactly what it cost
    David

ETA: I just realized you're an 08. I spent three years at 10th Marines. That's where I learned why the Good Conduct Medal has an artilleryman on it. (cause you never see one on an artilleryman).

Oh and "It's not a party without Arty.
    Last edited by GreyOne; 07-18-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: language

Thanks

Why suffer indeed. You can suffer all day long carrying all your comfort items. I see a lot of suffering on the trail with people overburdened with gear. I will happily go along the trail, hiking all day every day racking up the miles and sights and the country. How much gear do you need in camp? All you need to do is eat and sack out. But each to his own.

And let's reverse the question. Why in the world do you need 45-60lbs of gear for a couple days in the woods?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanner68 For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I found there is just a lot of gear I simply did not use by gradually eliminating those things my max pack weight is about 45lbs. Also I like going off trail and being able scramble or do some lite climbing when out so a 60+ lb pack is out of the question(unless mountaineering). PLus the lighter the pack the easier it is on the joints

Moderator/Staff Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 31,088 Times in 6,418 Posts

Because everybodies journey is differant, and thats ok.

Not everyone has to do it like them, nor do they need to do it like us.

why dont you head on over to the intro section and say hey and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks for your service BTW.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm sure you had no intention to come off as one but you did.

Let others do what they enjoy. If you want to hump 60lbs then go for it. But that doesn't mean everyone else should.

Scout
    Thanks

They ain't hurting me none.

Ed

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast