Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Molle II Assault Pack And Sleeping Bag Carrier?

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Molle II Assault Pack And Sleeping Bag Carrier?

Hello all,
    I have done a bit of research before deciding on the Molle II Assault Pack. I would like to add onto it two sustainment pouches. In addition to that I would like to sling a sleeping bag container at the bottom. What is your opinion on the modular sleep system carrier? Is it too large for the Assault pack without a frame? Does it slap your body when hiking? Is it just too large and uncomfortable for that particular pack? A coworker has the same bag but with the fanny pack suspended from it. The problem is my sleeping bag. While it is light weight and compacts well enough, it is just a bit bigger in diameter than what will fit in the fanny pack IMO. Is there a Molle pack between the fanny pack and MSS carrier in capacity? Thank you.
    Roman

Thanks

This is the currently issued assault pack and ever since I got one slung at me I've had issues with it. Firstly, it's tiny! I thought it would be more useful before I got it, but then again, I'm 6'4" and bigger clothes and boots make a surprising difference. I know dudes who could get boots and acus in the thing, I can't even get close.

I would seriously consider the medium sized rucksack instead if you're worried about weight distribution. It has much more space, which would probably negate the need for sustainment pouches but you could still add them if you wanted. It also has the straps to sling a sleep system, and best of all, it has a very easily removable frame. The frame is similar to, though not as rigid as, the full sized ruck frame, and does have a kidney pad and waist belt of course - without the frame though, it's still a very capable light rucksack. It has too large zippered pouches on the front as well, similar to the assault pack pouch.

I know this ain't quite what you asked for, but thought it may help!

Pete

Tracker
    Thanks

Thank you Pete. The larger pack will definitely do all I need and then some. I think the Assault pack, for me any way, will work. There is a smaller pack yet, the patrol pack and it is too small. I'm 6' 1" and have a large Jansport backpack if I want to move a lot of gear but not very fast. My idea is to trim the loaded pack down to 35 lbs. If my life's dream ever becomes a reality the bag will carry me a for a few days in the woods before coming into town and then back out again. I've seen the Assault Pack but not with the Mod Sleep Carrier attached to it so that is my question. The fellow was using a fanny pack and in it he had a Bivy bag along with some extra cord. I assume the MSS carrier can be cinched tighter to eliminate the space my sleeping bag won't use up?
    Roman

Thanks

For me, personally, the issue assault pack has never been a really good solution for carrying even modest amounts of weight, so loading it up with sustainment pouches and a sleeping bag on the bottom would make it unwieldy.

Scout
    Thanks

I can get by with sustainment pouches holding a gi shelter half in each but the MSS carrier is huge for the assault pack and I have yet to find a good way to attach it so it is secure. It really is meant to be mounted to the frame. I have been thinking it might be better mounted to the FLC instead of the pack directly but not sure that's a good idea either.
    Last edited by Bouncer871; 08-24-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Yeah, there's a reason why the army adopted a medium ruck that is intermediary between the assault pack and the full ruck (and not too far off what a medium ALICE used to carry). I've not tried the assault pack for camping and hiking, but for military use you can pretty quickly overload it past what it is capable of carrying reasonably.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 348 Posts

I just put molle mss carrier, straps and waistbelt on my med Alice and frame and it made it a complete different pack. It now fits my 6'3"/220 long torso body. The mss carrier does cinch down to whatever size your bag is. I only have my patrol bag in it now and with it cinched down it's as stable as it gets.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 499 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HorseSoldier View Post
    Yeah, there's a reason why the army adopted a medium ruck that is intermediary between the assault pack and the full ruck (and not too far off what a medium ALICE used to carry). I've not tried the assault pack for camping and hiking, but for military use you can pretty quickly overload it past what it is capable of carrying reasonably.

Agree. While I absolutely love the MOLLE II Assault Pack, and think it is one of the best small packs the US military ever developed, it is really just day pack sized. If you start hanging things off of it like sustainment pouches and sleeping bag carriers you will very quickly exceed it's ability to comfortably carry a load.

Like I said, it's a great day pack. If you want to carry more stuff get either a medium ALICE or one of the new MOLLE II Medium Rucksacks w/frame.

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. I don't want to get too large on a pack or I'd stay with the Jansport Rockies II I now own.

Changing gears. I saw the new Molle Rucksack sells for the mid to higher $100. The Medium ALICE, much less. What should I ask for before purchasing a medium ALICE? Is there just one type of frame or one preferred for lashing a sleeping bag onto. What about the straps? How do I know if they are the latest in comfort? Is there a preferred maker for these as well? Thanks again for your time and comments. I'm sure the ALICE has been beaten to death buy now on these forums and I'll search for more info here as well.
    Roman
    Last edited by Roman; 08-01-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 348 Posts

Search ALICE hellcat. It's a hybrid of Alice pack/frame and molle shoulder straps/waist belt/mss carrier. Some places sell the complete set-up for around $65.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast