Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bates USMC RAT boots $59.99

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks

There is a story in the Marine Corps Times about them being recalled due to separation of stitching and glue at the seams, as well as eyelets falling off the boots. Here is the article:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...ecall-033011w/

I've emailed customer service at LA Police gear to ask if the only issue is the minor defects they mention, or if these boots might have the issues mentioned in the article.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to carnivore For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks for the info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carnivore View Post
    There is a story in the Marine Corps Times about them being recalled due to separation of stitching and glue at the seams, as well as eyelets falling off the boots. Here is the article:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...ecall-033011w/

I've emailed customer service at LA Police gear to ask if the only issue is the minor defects they mention, or if these boots might have the issues mentioned in the article.
    It took 3 days (and two email requests) to get a response, but I finally did hear back - twice - today about the issues with boots. At 11:41 AM I received an email saying the only problem was with the aesthetics, but at 2:11 PM I received this reply:

"Dear valued customer

The boots do have defects and one of them can be that the stitching can start to come undone over time and the eyelets have popped out. This is why the boots are on sale for a very low price. Please be aware that all sales are final on this boot when purchased

Thank you and have a great day.

Chris

Customer Service Team"

So, even though their website says the boots have only minor defects like small leather scuffs and slightly misaligned welts, there is the possibility that they will come unstitched at the seams and the eyelets might fall out. They didn't even mention the other complaint in the article of coming unglued at the seams.

Caveat Emptor
    Last edited by carnivore; 08-23-2012 at 12:04 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carnivore For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Of all the military issue contract companies, Bates, hands down, makes the poorest quality boots. A close friend of mine is shipping to Air Force BMT shortly, and one of the first things I told him was 'At your first Issue, make SURE you grab Altama boots, and do everything you can to avoid Bates." Every single one of the guys in my flight that had Bates boots had them fall apart within the 6 weeks of BMT. This isn't just a one time recall thing, they make a poor quality product, period.

PS, Danner routinely puts their RAT boots on clearance for 70 dollars from the factory, and they come with free shipping and a lifetime warranty.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TaigaTreader For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Danner Rat Boot seconds are very nice, but they do run LARGER than normal - like a full size larger. One of the hazards of ordering boots over the phone.

I had some in 12 1/2 wide and had to trade them off - just too big.

Just be aware of this when you place the order.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified nothinghead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 634 Posts

Go with Danner or Belleville. I really like the Belleville Flight Deck Navy boots. No goofy zippers to fail, and they have a softer sole for running in. they look good and are all leather, no nylon on the uppers and are affordable. I got mine at the NEX in VA Beach.

Matterhorn's are what I was issued at Basic, and those were some good quality boots too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 718 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 87Burban View Post
    The Danner Rat Boot seconds are very nice, but they do run LARGER than normal - like a full size larger. One of the hazards of ordering boots over the phone.

I had some in 12 1/2 wide and had to trade them off - just too big.

Just be aware of this when you place the order.
    I find this odd as the ones I that were issued to me ran small. I wear an 11 and they fit like a 10 1/2. Maybe the fact that they are seconds could contribute. I also know that Danner has a program where you send your boots in and they will resole and replace/repair leather and insoles for a reduced price vs the cost of a new boot.

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,066 Posts

My experience with Bates was not positive.
    My experience with Danner is good durable boots that run 1/2 size short and a bit narrow (as in the ee fits like a d)
    Altama = best uninsulated boots I've worn
    Matterhorn = best insulated lace to toe.

Thanks

I have the Danners version. I paid quite a bit more than $70. I'd like to know where that deal was.

Danners run true to size and are a bit narrow. I currently have two pair that are holding up quite well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast