Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Middle Tennessee Trails?

Thanks

Default Middle Tennessee Trails?

Does anyone know of any good hiking trails in the Southern Middle Tennessee area. I know of a few within a reasonable driving distance but I'm always looking for more.

Trails I know of in the area are:
    Several on the Natchez Trace Pkwy
    David Crockett State Park
    Fall Creek Falls State Park
    Mouse Tail Landing State Park

I am beyond ready to get back in the woods but those darn ticks are holding me back.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to j_beal For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I live in Lawrence County, TN a couple of miles from the Natchez Trace and where David Crocket State Park is located and there are a few other lesser known areas where you can at least do some day hiking. Laurel Hill Wildlife Management Area in Lawrence County has several miles of horse back riding trails that you can hike also and there are other similar areas in adjoining counties just don't carry a fiream unless you have the requried hunting licenses.

Also there are thousands of acres belonging to paper companies, that have been leased to hunting clubs and if you can find the right people to talk with and they unerstand that are interested in hiking only during the off season, you may get lucky find some really remote areas for hiking, be careful as some of these areas do have "wild" hogs which won't hesitate to say hello.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Piddler For This Useful Post:

Rode hard & put away wet Supporter Fat Old Man's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 841 Posts

In SW Tennessee: Big Hill Pond State Park near Selmer/Ramer/Middleton http://tn.gov/environment/parks/BigHillPond/#hiking
    and Chickasaw State Park near Henderson http://tn.gov/environment/parks/Chickasaw/#hiking
    and you might want to check the Pickwick Landing area near where TN, MS and AL intersect- There are parks in all three states nearby.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Old Man For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

Check out the Fiery Gizzard trail, Savage gulf and Stone door. All part of South Cumberland State park.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoundBear For This Useful Post:

BushClass Basic-13/13 E-5/5 O-1/5 On the Fringe...In Tennessee
    Thanks

I'm in Wayne county and only a few miles from the Trace too. Thanks for the info. Will have to check a few of these places out. Does anyone in Middle TN get together?

Thanks

Im from Murfreesboro. I'll be heading out to Virgin Falls next Sunday morning with some friends. It is south of Sparta, north of McMinville. It's around 4 miles in, moderate descent/ascent going in and out, right on the river. Lots of space, so you can get away from any neighbors you may have. a big second on savage gulf and stone door areas.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to macopeland21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Arcadia, there is one small out and back trail just north of Summertown on Hwy 43. It is called Rattlesnake Falls or Stillhouse Falls depending on who you talk to. It's a shirt trail but there is a nice waterfall at the end if it. Watch your step though. Its steep in a couple of places. Good for an afternoon hike.

As far as a get together - I don't know. Haven't been here long myself.

BushClass Basic-13/13 E-5/5 O-1/5 On the Fringe...In Tennessee
    Thanks

I know of the place. Just before the Workman Bridge. It'll be on my list for this fall. Chiggers are still too bad for me. Can't wait cool weather. Where are you at j_beal?
    Pat

Thanks
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 436 Posts

The Benton Mackaye trail runs from Ga up into TN. As do many of the trails in the Chattahoochee Nat. Forest. I am always on the Georgia side, but actually drive through TN to get to some of the trailheads. There are miles and miles of trails on the GA sidd of the forest, I assume the same on the TN side.

Tracker
    Thanks

There is a hiking group in Nashville (I'm not a member). I think they mostly do day hikes, but on their site nashvillehiking.com they have a Google map with different trails marked. I'm new to the Nashville area so I haven't hiked a lot of them... but hopefully this helps.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dbo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast