Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scandi vs Convex

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Default Scandi vs Convex

I am going to be ordering a new Bushcraft knife soon. Scandi seems to be the flaovor of choice for that type of Knife, perhaps due to the popularity of the Ray Mears knife. A number of people who's opinion I respect prefer a covex grind for a Bushcraft knife. Is it just a matter of personel prefrence or does one have an advantage over the other on a Bushcraft knife.

Hardwoodsman Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,086 Times in 10,716 Posts

Buy an affordable knife of each flavor and use them. It won't be long before you discover the merits and detraction of each one for yourself.
    That's really the best and most honest way too do it. Otherwise you'll hear about a billion opinions for each side and you'll still not know what to use.
    Most of the fun is in doing the discovering yourself.
    Romans 10:9
    Turley Knives web site
    Remember the birds
    youtube channel
    Turley Knives sub-forum
    My blog about Turley knives and stuff
    http://turleycustomknives.blogspot.com/
    "See the High Priest He took my place, when the Judge looks at me He sees His Son's face." -16 Horsepower

Dr. Fishguts Bush Class Basic Certified kgd's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,069 Times in 404 Posts

I think a scandi provides the most easily learned and intuitive grind for making fuzz sticks that a knife can possibly have. They are also easy to sharpen on a stone. On the other hand, a convex blade is more robust and can just withstand a lot more harder abuse. If you want to use a knife the day Iz likes abusing his, then a convex is a way to go. If your knife is reserved for slicing and cutting and the odd bit of whittling with an axe doing to the tough chores, then a scandi is one of the better bets. In the end though, you get a feel for how each works with practice. A person used to convex isn't going to like the feel of a scandi on initial use and vice versa. But its not rocket science either. Fifteen minutes of fuzzy making, knotching and whittling will tune your hands to a blade if you are already familiar with bladework. So don't sweat it to much. A good knife is a good knife and you will probably make it work for you whichever grind it has.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kgd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 359 Posts

I used to stress grinds allot. The older I get the less I care as long as I can get it sharp.
    scandi, flat, convex, Hollow, sabre, chisel..lightsabre. they all will do everything a knife should do, from carving a tent peg to cleaning a trout. (the lightsaber will also cook the trout)
    I think if you plan on using a knife allot, a good comfy and grippy handle is important, and often overlooked.
    Iz give sound advice as usual.
    I'd go cheap first, experiment, and find what you like.
    Welcome aboard, and godspeed in your quest.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BushBum For This Useful Post:

Thanks

if the axe is convexed ---a convex knife would minimize sharpening supplies you need to carry

and obviously if the axe has a v grind i'd go for a knife grind to use the same stone(s)

and most of the time i break this rule of simplicity and take way too many sharp things with me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bourbon&bisquits For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

it depends; there are many variables, and neither term is specific enough to actually say what is or what for.

A good bushcraft knife should have these 2 qualities. 1. a sushi chef would never use it. 2. A teenage girl would let it rust.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to briarbrow For This Useful Post:

Supporter Supporter Fat Old Man's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 712 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by briarbrow View Post
    it depends; there are many variables, and neither term is specific enough to actually say what is or what for.

A good bushcraft knife should have these 2 qualities. 1. a sushi chef would never use it. 2. A teenage girl would let it rust.
    I love it!

Moderator/Staff Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,994 Times in 5,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iz View Post
    Buy an affordable knife of each flavor and use them. It won't be long before you discover the merits and detraction of each one for yourself.
    That's really the best and most honest way too do it. Otherwise you'll hear about a billion opinions for each side and you'll still not know what to use.
    Most of the fun is in doing the discovering yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by kgd View Post
    I think a scandi provides the most easily learned and intuitive grind for making fuzz sticks that a knife can possibly have. They are also easy to sharpen on a stone. On the other hand, a convex blade is more robust and can just withstand a lot more harder abuse. If you want to use a knife the day Iz likes abusing his, then a convex is a way to go. If your knife is reserved for slicing and cutting and the odd bit of whittling with an axe doing to the tough chores, then a scandi is one of the better bets. In the end though, you get a feel for how each works with practice. A person used to convex isn't going to like the feel of a scandi on initial use and vice versa. But its not rocket science either. Fifteen minutes of fuzzy making, knotching and whittling will tune your hands to a blade if you are already familiar with bladework. So don't sweat it to much. A good knife is a good knife and you will probably make it work for you whichever grind it has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BushBum View Post
    I used to stress grinds allot. The older I get the less I care as long as I can get it sharp.
    scandi, flat, convex, Hollow, sabre, chisel..lightsabre. they all will do everything a knife should do, from carving a tent peg to cleaning a trout. (the lightsaber will also cook the trout)
    I think if you plan on using a knife allot, a good comfy and grippy handle is important, and often overlooked.
    Iz give sound advice as usual.
    I'd go cheap first, experiment, and find what you like.
    Welcome aboard, and godspeed in your quest.
    You wont find better advise then this. Straightforward, not biased, non confrontational. I agree with them 100%.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to J For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Smile Knives / Grinds Are Like Women

We all have are own tastes on choosing one .
    Last edited by nazzrock; 09-10-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 602 Posts

I can't add any wisdom that has not already been stated. Good luck on your choice and post up some pictures of it or them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast