Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel length for a .357 magnum

Thanks

As far as weight goes, anything will be a relief after carrying that 7.5" Super Redhawk I take when in grizz country lol. Sometimes I wonder if I might as well be packing my shotgun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WesternAngler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,382 Times in 443 Posts

The longer barrel is going to be easier for most people to shoot. More weight, more sight radius,and better sights according to your description. All of these contribute to putting the hole where you want it.

The only downside in my in my opinion is the ease of carry. That's a personal choice, but for most people it will have more to do with the holster than the extra 1.5" of barrel. The extra 150fps is just gravy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Code Red For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I had a 4" 7 shot 357 for woods carry. Though easier to carry than my 629 44mag, I still found it bulky. I opted for a 3" SP101. I can wear it concealed as well as in the open while in the woods. I've worn it on several work days at my hunting leases. All day in 90+ heat is no problem. If running to the nearby quick mart for ice, etc, a long tee covers it. I prefer shooting semi's but love the utility of a revolver. Five shots its plenty for the woods. I load 2 snake shot followed by 3 158g 357. At home or urban carry, it is stoked with 125g +p. I like the 3" barrel - for me it is easier to shoot well than a snubby, concealment imho is enhanced by having a little extra barrel (doesn't want to flip out...).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pinetree64 For This Useful Post:

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified tennecedar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,250 Times in 1,525 Posts

The deciding factor for me choosing a 4" over a short barrel was TN regs requiring a 4" barrel for hunting. I wasn't planning on it being a hunting gun but liked having the option. Now that I have shot it for a couple of years my snubbies hang out in the gun safe. It's my go-to firearm. Home defense, woods bumming, hiking in bear country, everything.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tennecedar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah, I suppose I should hold off and wait for the 4" model to show up. I really like the idea of going home with a new gun today but I'd hate to make an impulsive decision and get something that isn't as good for me in the long run. I did some looking online and noticed that there is also a 3" version available at a shop about 30-40 minutes from me so might as well throw that one into the fray. However I think the adjustable sights are still making me think the 4" one is a better choice, not sure why Ruger only offers adjustable sights on the one length. There are a couple other shops around that I can check too, but the last several times I was in those ones they didn't have any of these guns in stock.

Tracker
    Thanks

.357 Magnum was designed to function in a longer barrel. Standard rounds are designed for no shorter than a 4". If you use anything shorter, you may want to look into a speciallty round for defense or carry. Much of the powder in a standard round will not burn completely. Also in many states, a 4" in the minimum length to hunt with.
    A 4" gun isn't that difficult to conceal.
    If looking for a one gun, multi-use situation, go with the 4" IMHO

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Regionrat45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would lean towards a 3 or 4" given the choice. Like others have said, the SP is already a hefty gun for EDC, so an extra inch or two of steel is going to have more benefits than drawbacks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to three50seven For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Check out a 3 inch GP 100. Not as concealable as the sp101 but not bad

Thanks

I was looking at a GP 100 too, not sure what the barrel length was. It just seemed a bit bulky to be my "small" revolver which is why I was leaning towards the SP101. Maybe I should give it a second look though.

Thanks

I carry a 2 1/8" Smith model 60 in an IWB appendix holster, I don't think a much longer barrel would work for this type carry.

If you are going with an IWB 4 o'clock or an OWB holster you should be able to use a 4".

If I could have only one pistol/revolver it would be a Smith 3" Model 60 Pro.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to barnes3126 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast