Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you stop a dog from killing chickens?

Bush Hippy Supporter pure_mahem's Avatar
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,253 Posts

It doesn't have to be the meat it can just be the smell of the chickens. We do this for deer when the coon dogs go off on them or other animals that we don't want them to track. But make sure you never want the dog to go after that animal ever again. Not an issue in your case but can be if it's a hunting dog like a rabbit or coon dog you should only need some feathers or a rag that smells like the chicken. Ask your neighbor to place a hand ful of rags in his chicken coop to get the smell and place a freshly scented rag around his neck or colar each day for a week or two. you may even be able to use some of the nesting material in a large ziploc just through the rag in with it. It really shouldn't be a problem getting the smell it's not the amount that works so well its the length of time. should work with same results as the rotting carcas just a little more sanitary. Bandannas work well. hope this helps.

We as humans do the majority of our sensing and iformation gathering from our eye sight and our hearing. while about 80 percent or higher of a dogs information gathering is done through scent. So just think about it it's like smelling seeing and thinking chicken 24 7 when you eat you smell chicken when your trying to find your favorite spot to pee you smell chicken when your trying to relax and sleep you smell chicken it's actually pretty cruel which is why it works so well you give them so much chicken they literally may start to gag with nausea. But it works! You could compare it to how long would you want to go or stay somewhere where there was an open sceptic would you want to eat your lunch around the hole how bout all your meals and sleep next to it. Just trying to give you a visual of how it works. We do it with our dogs that run dear by taking a piece of hide the musky part on the buck and putting it in a bag with a bandana as described. other options are musck scents for other species like fox and skunk but I don't think they make a chicken one so as I said a ziploc with some nesting material and some shed feathers should work well. Best Wishes! Let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by pure_mahem; 09-25-2012 at 06:32 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pure_mahem For This Useful Post:

Hardwoodsman Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,339 Times in 12,014 Posts

Whatever you do you need to do it soon. I know of a dog that was killing goats. The owners let it go on and eventually that dog got ahold of a five year old kid by the head. Fourty stitches and a dead dog later things were back to normal. Luckily the parents of the five year old didn't sue the dog owner for everything he had.
    I'm not saying it's a definite your dog would advance to that but it's a possibility.
    Good luck in whatever method you try.
    Romans 10:9
    Turley Knives web site
    Remember the birds
    youtube channel
    Turley Knives sub-forum
    My blog about Turley knives and stuff
    http://turleycustomknives.blogspot.com/
    "See the High Priest He took my place, when the Judge looks at me He sees His Son's face." -16 Horsepower

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkogKniv View Post
    Time tested and hillbilly approved. This will work with any animal you find your dog killing that you don't want them to.
    no, this won't work. they will eat it so fast that they never get to the point of being sick of it.

Bushwhacker Bush Class Intermediate Certified Shnick's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,202 Times in 5,475 Posts

After 40 some replies, not sure if this was mentioned, but here goes.

Thank your neighbor for sending over the "free chicken dinners" and let him know that he could save you a lot of trouble if they were sent over in a way that your dog wouldnt have to get chicken blood all over his coat.

LOL

Seriously, let him know whats going on, and that you're trying to train the dog to ignore them but in the meantime...

he should probably SECURE HIS LIVESTOCK

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shnick For This Useful Post:

JDC

Thanks

My dog is on "Death Row" right now. My wife's Chickens are in a pen, and the dog is also in his pen. My wife lets her Chickens out into the yard. The Chickens stick their heads into the Dog's pen and steal his food. The Dog drags the Chickens head-first through the chain link fence. I don't think it's the Dog's fault.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Problem Child For This Useful Post:

Bushwhacker Bush Class Intermediate Certified Shnick's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,202 Times in 5,475 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Problem Child View Post
    The Dog drags the Chickens head-first through the chain link fence.
    Now THATS an image...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shnick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 348 Posts
    Items for Sale

Not a cheap way but training collars. I.E shock collars...I always had a set for training beagles..My wife raises very expensive Marans chickens and bouban red turkeys..A chicken killer can set you back a few hundred bucks in minutes..Ive never had a problem breaking a dog with a collar with just a few hits..
    Another way is break them before they start..Put a pup in a with a mean old hen that has bittys..She'll wear that pup up out, generally they tread lightly around chickens after that..
    Now I dont let expensive chickens wonder about, Im talking about dogs that want to tear into a fence..Most of the time my dogs(espically expensive beagles) are kept in a clean kennel anyway so I dont have to break dogs from it very often..Also these are my own chickens, if someone lets their chickens roam on another property then I think their paid for..
    Last edited by Kentucky; 09-25-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderings View Post
    I remember my Dad beating a dog with the dead chicken it had killed. It worked.
    I know for sure it works for skunks, possums, rabbits, and other small critters you don't want coon dogs chasing. It would probably work just as well for chickens. I had a dog that would kill chickens, but she would kill them all given the chance. The owner of the chickens shot her with a 20ga loaded with rock salt (By no means condoning!). The wind would blow the scent in the yard, and she would hide as quick as she could find a hole after that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 687 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Problem Child View Post
    My dog is on "Death Row" right now. My wife's Chickens are in a pen, and the dog is also in his pen. My wife lets her Chickens out into the yard. The Chickens stick their heads into the Dog's pen and steal his food. The Dog drags the Chickens head-first through the chain link fence. I don't think it's the Dog's fault.

On Death Row?

Have you considered putting some fine mesh wire around the chain link that the chckens cant get their heads through it.

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Jeffro's Avatar
    Thanks

My father trained bird dogs with a shock collar. He used the Tri-Tronics brand it had 3 buttons red,yellow and green. The green button caused the collar to make a ringing sound,use it when you reward the dog by petting or feeding. The yellow button caused the collar to buzz, this is used as a cautionary action. The red button caused the collar to buzz and then delivered a shock. The secret to training your dog is don't let your dog play mind games with you, you need to play mind games with him.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast