Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hillbilly blood

Thanks
    Thanked 3,373 Times in 1,660 Posts

Default Hillbilly blood

I found this show on destination America lots of bush craft making trades and looking for knife making material 6 episodes that I have seen all good stuff.
    One flew east
    One flew west
    One flew over the Campfire

AXE MOB Turley club member#92

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to adkwalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I watched them too. Some good info but I dont think they are real hillbillies. That still set up they showed would produce weed poison and that's about it. The people of BCUSA can filter the info thru common sense, but the general public could get hurt following some of that stuff.

BabasBear

Eugene made a series of YouTube videos under the name Trapperjacksurvival...check them out.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabasBear For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,678 Times in 375 Posts

they drive to nice of trucks to be poor as the show wants you to think
    Roy

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plumberoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I watched a few of the Trapperjacksurvival vids. Good stuff. The show producers should incorporate these into the show.
    Last edited by Amish; 10-07-2012 at 12:30 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Amish For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

I found it a much better than average T.V. show.
    I grew up near the area in question and did some camping down there while attending the old "Mother Earth News Eco Village."
    The TrapperJack videos on YouTube show a man with a considerable amount of Bushcrafting skills. Some of that is evident in the show.
    Is the show faithfully capturing day to day life in the Appalachians? No.
    The men, as pointed out, are not nearly as impoverished as the show depicts. As noted, they drive nice pickups. Trapper Jack also has a video camera
    and access to a computer.
    Some of the story lines are downright silly, but... the skills shown are pretty good to know. An example is the show where they have to go hunting for food
    or they will starve, so one sits down and carves a bow from a stave. The other goes to the junkyard and gets a leaf spring from an old vehicle and makes a heck of a
    powerful crossbow from it. Realistic? Nah! Good skills to own? You bet! Mind you, in another show they trade a jar of moonshine for a box of rounds for a 30-30.
    So, in reality, they didn't need to craft either a bow or a crossbow. They had a rifle.
    Moonshining... which seems to be the subject of T.V. and movies these days ("Moonshiners" and "Hillbilly-The Real Story" on the History Channel and "Lawless" in the theaters)
    is still illegal. You'd really be silly to advertise you make it on a T.V. show if you were doing it for real. Keep that reality fact in mind while viewing the show.
    Hillbilly Blood is a good advertising tool for them. If they run a school, then their moment of fame will bring them some good business.
    And yes, if you get a chance to watch it, there are some real fieldcrafting gems in the silliness of the show.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NucMedic For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Default TrapperJack

I have met and spoken with Eugene "TrapperJack". He is the real deal as far as his skills. He is a real person with the knowledge to take care of himself and his family when this country takes a complete dump. His videos on YouTube exhibit just some of those skills. The Hillbilly Blood TV show is intended to show some of those skills, yet also entertain. Those that watch the TV show have to remember that ratings rule the TV world. Editors have the final say. I know some of the things that ended up on the floor, and would have made the show a little more "raw" or "hardcore" but they may not have been as "entertaining", so we got what we got.
    Like I said, I have met and spoken with this man, and he knows his stuff. I look forward to learning from him myself.
    Also, I have seen a few of the knives and all I can say is that I will be proud to carry one when I can manage it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thencstantons For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Loogaroo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,708 Times in 1,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plumberoy View Post
    they drive to nice of trucks to be poor as the show wants you to think
    Roy
    I come from a long line of American gypsies. One thing they all had in common was their trucks were very nice. You had to look good to cheat people properly. Fortunately my father broke the line of cheating, grifting and thievery. I can easily see these fellas dumping any real money they had into their trucks.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loogaroo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,787 Times in 2,419 Posts
    Items for Sale

The first season was fairly good.. But the more I watch it the more obvious it is just how staged the show is. Eugene is so uncomfortable on camera, because he's most likely an honest guy and dislikes going along with the act.

Thanks

Spencer 2 Dog also interned or studied under Eustace Conway. He has his own school that he teaches martial arts as well as survival/bushcraft.
    Eugene runs private sessions as well. You can Facebook him about knives and training and he responds fairly quickly.

As far as the show, it's like anything even reality tv IMO. It's scripted to some point. Edited to the vision of the director and producers etc want the viewers to be shown.

I'm sure they signed some kind of contract for a salary to do the show that would help with those trucks. As I mentioned they both taught prior to the show.

skarrecrow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast