Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever waxed a pair of carhartts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 411 Posts

Default Have you ever waxed a pair of carhartts?

Thinking I'd like to try and wax a pair of carhartt bibs, and I'm wondering if any of you reading this has tried doing that before? Better to learn from others mistakes I figure.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hastings For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Now I'm not waxologist, but my off the cuff guess would be a very heavy pair of bibs. Maybe try one of them thar silicone spray waterproofers? F.W.I.W.

-Farm.
    Last edited by Farmboy; 10-06-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Even made-up words should be spelled correctly.

swoody126

thought about FILSON BIBS ?

sw

Thanks

I have had the same thoughts. Would love to do a pair of carhart pants.

Scout Supporter
    Thanks

You might end up with something like the Filson Tin Pants. You can buy the wax that Filson uses for the tin pants. It's sold in cans like shoe polish so you can "re-tin" as needed.
    The Axe Mob

Tracker
    Thanks

I can't imagine anyone actually liking pants similar to the Filson double tin logger pants that I used to have. I gave them away. They were so uncomfortable and heavy and impossible to clean. They were like wearing cheap rubber hip waders, I could feel them rubbing the back and front of my knees with every step. I would suggest not waxing your Carrharts, but I do recommend any Filson product that isn't Tin cloth. I have their wool Western Vest and the Shelter Cloth Levi's truckers jacket.

Scout
    Thanks

Guys used to rewaterproof their carharts by spraying them with hair spray. I don't know if it worked or not. We always wanted them to breath and dry out.
    they're made to work in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 800 Posts

Picked up otter wax bars off amazon to do a pack I just picked up. Coming out better than I expected, will post some picks when I'm done. Just rub the wax on and then go back over it with a hair dryer. I'm going a little heavy and one small bar was almost enough to do the pack. They ship quick too. Order another bar Thursday to finish up an it was at my house today.
    AXE MOB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 440 Posts

I have a Waxed jacket. Feels wierd, but it was raining two nights ago. I decied to go for a walk. My pants were wet, but my torso remained dry as a bone. If you are going to wax some pants, then it would be a good idea i think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 411 Posts

10 years ago , I left a job as an arborist and went to work for the railroad. I wore double tins late fall, winter , early spring. I wore them out in the crotch. My climbing harness ate the stitching into non existence. I sent the double tins back to filson for repair. Instead of messing around with a 5 year old pair of chainsaw exhaust covered double tins, filson elected to send me a new pair of double tins instead. Transitioning from my thirties to my forties and from being single to being in a relationship with a woman who loves to cook I needless to say have gained a few inches around the middle. Loved my filson double tins, but if I can wax a pair of carhartts for less money then I'm going to try it. In the meantime I have a pair of double tins, leather bound bottoms size 34 waist , 33 length sitting in the basement waiting to be shipped to one of you fellas for a good trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast