Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I got the Estwing 16” Camp Axe-Winter

Thanks
    Thanked 9,196 Times in 575 Posts

Default Why I got the Estwing 16” Camp Axe-Winter

I had decided to get either a very large, heavy tomahawk or a light axe for the winter. Being from California the bark beetle has done most of the felling for us. We have dead pine everywhere. I like to sleep next to the fire in open shelters and a good supply of night wood is needed. Pretty much a combination of oak and pine is what we have.

I wanted to get a Hudson Bay style axe for a while and recently I did, a Council Tool. The head came loose after 2 days of a 5 day camp trip where I was sleeping out next to the fire. Once it came loose in camp I didn’t feel very good about using it. I sent it back and they replaced it (yesterday). I chopped into an old chunk of seasoned wood and while the bit was buried deep inside the wood I noticed some handle play again. The new one was loose. When I got it the aluminum wedge was a little bit sticking out and the head itself looked like it could have been seated a little more down. It actually stuck out more than the top of the handle.

Here are a few pictures of the replacement and why I chose the Estwing.

The Council Tool Hudson Bay Axe is listed as having an 18” handle. They are measuring from the very top to of the axe head to the bottom of the handle. It comes out to about 17”.
    The Estwing is listed as a 16”, but when it is measured in the same way as the Council, its 18” in total length.

Council is about 2 pounds 6 ounces while the Estwing Camp Axe is 2 pounds 11 ounces.

They are both of a Hudson Bay pattern, which I really like.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bear the dog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Estwing head is larger and the bit gives just a little more cutting surface.

After taking a few hard chops with both I can honestly say the shock is more obvious on the CT compared to the Estwing. I have read the opposite, but glad I finally got a chance to try it out for myself.

Bad thing is, I think it is ugly!

Both from the USA

The good thing is…this can’t possibly happen to it.

Loose head:

Thanks

I have started to thin down the shoulder with a file, but I won’t be able to finish it or do anymore work with it until I return from a trip.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 504 Posts

I must admit that I also prefer the low maintenance of full steel construction better than the classic wood haft as well. It may not be traditional and I may be scoffed at by true axemen, but I use what I like.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ned For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    I must admit that I also prefer the low maintenance of full steel construction better than the classic wood haft as well. It may not be traditional and I may be scoffed at by true axemen, but I use what I like.

I like the traditional patterns and materials, I just hate that feeling of uncertainty.

-RB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bear the dog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,157 Times in 1,180 Posts

Well the Estwing certainly eliminates the loose head worries. The thing I don't like about them is the skinny neck for choking up on the head for carving and finer work. I wish they would make the rubber handle part the same thickness all the way to the head. I might actually try it then. But it would also be heavier if they did that. But I like wood handles and probably won't ever change.

I still think when you have the time you should drill out that aluminum wedge and use a wooden wedge and then a small metal wedge. I really think that would solve your problem.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutdoorEnvy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That actually sounds like something I would like to do, especially if it all works out.
    Council did send me a free shipping label to send it back to them for investigating the problem. Not sure what I will do.
    -RB

Thanks
    Thanked 5,157 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bear the dog View Post
    That actually sounds like something I would like to do, especially if it all works out.
    Council did send me a free shipping label to send it back to them for investigating the problem. Not sure what I will do.
    -RB
    I know a guy who sent an axe back to them that had a loose head and asked for a wooden wedge with the small metal wedge to be used instead of aluminum and they did it. Never hurts to ask.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OutdoorEnvy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Estwing looks nice I agree with outdoor on the handle stuff but the estwing should serve you well. Waiting for their new hawks to hit the market. Thanks for the specs.
    You sure you want to take that shoulder down that sure is a narrow looking profile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Estwing looks nice I agree with outdoor on the handle stuff but the estwing should serve you well. Waiting for their new hawks to hit the market. Thanks for the specs.
    You sure you want to take that shoulder down that sure is a narrow looking profile.
    For now I can't fuzz sticks like with the CT, but I also had to do some work on the CT edge to get it to carve well. As it is, the Estwing has a nice edge, just want it to be a little more bush ready!

-RB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast