Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lodge preseasoned cast iron skillet and carbon steel skillet

Thanks

Default Lodge preseasoned cast iron skillet and carbon steel skillet

Hey guys,

Just a quick review of Lodge's preseasoned cast iron skillets and their preseasoned carbon steel skillets.

Both were nicely seasoned, however the CI is developing a better season after each and every use. The carbon steel is taking much longer, and needs more aftercare.

I have purposely cooked fatty/greasy foods in the carbon steel, to set the seasoning, however there is still much more noticeable sticking when compared to the CI. also, Lodge suggests that after each use, the carbon steel should be coated with a light cooking oil before being stored, which is what I've been doing.

I'm trying to give them each equal use, but the CI is really taking off when compared to the carbon. However, the carbon has a great, long handle which would be perfect for camp use over a fire, not to mention its lighter weight.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know my experiences with these two skillets so far.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Blueraja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,101 Posts

good review- I have used cast iron for years- mostly Lodge- but have found a Griswold, and a couple of Wagners- they are somewhat thinner and a smoother finish on the bottom- probably less forgiving in a campfire than Lodge- I am really coming to prefer Carbon steel for the less weight factor- but that is a trade off with the lack of heat retention.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty stove For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Great Cookware

Hi
    I have the lodge 10 inch carbon steel and it has become my favorite pan. It took awhile to get good with it but I now like it better than my CI fry pans for everything except frying chicken.
    The seasoning that it came with wasn't very good imo. Long story short after trying loads of different things. I use crisco or canola oil for cooking.
    What I do to season it is of course use it but I put some oil in it and heat it over the stove till it starts smoking. Let it cool down wipe it out then use. Mine has been very good for me eggs slide around etc.

Sometimes things stick but no big deal I take a razor and scrape the crud off. Put a little oil in and if needed re oil.
    hope a photo is ok in your post
    [IMG] [/IMG]

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sylvan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Of course photos are okay! I'm going to have to try the razor blade cleaning. I usually use a fork to scrape off the bits, but a razor sounds so much better.

I also put oil in it and heated it until smoking, but I think I need to do it a few more times.

I really want it to be as good as or better than the CI, but right now, the CI is winning the seasoning competition.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueraja For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blueraja View Post
    Of course photos are okay! I'm going to have to try the razor blade cleaning. I usually use a fork to scrape off the bits, but a razor sounds so much better.

I also put oil in it and heated it until smoking, but I think I need to do it a few more times.

I really want it to be as good as or better than the CI, but right now, the CI is winning the seasoning competition.
    Try using Crisco works great. It took me about 4 months before I was converted. I cooked everything I could in it to learn it's ways. One thing that I noticed is it seems to need a higher cooking temp to get in the cooking zone compared to CI.
    This post prompted me to cook up a delicious omelette.
    Fun Stuff!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Flax seed oil (aka. raw linseed oil) will very quickly build up a seasoning coat on iron. Wipe on a thin layer on a warm pan and then cook it until it is smoking. You can use it when you cook food too if you don't find the taste objectionable. Obviously only use food grade oil for this- not "boiled linseed" which contains poisonous metal compounds...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timothy For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

000_0002.jpg000_0001.jpgAttachment 51415Attachment 51416Found one of theses.Wish it was a little bigger.Just needs to be seasoned
    Last edited by SocomII; 10-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SocomII For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SocomII View Post
    Attachment 51415Attachment 51416Found one of theses.Wish it was a little bigger.Just needs to be seasoned
    I could not open your photo

Camp Cook Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 678 Posts

I try to not scrape or scratch my cast iron with anything metal. If food is a little stuck, I put some water in the skillet and put it back on the heat; the stuck food will loosen easily. Then I use a stiff bristled brush ( I like one made of sisal fiber or broom straw) to finish the clean-up. I use only wooden spoons and spatulas for stirring and serving, too.
    ...and I'll see you soon!
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/70TheProfessor?feature=mhee
    Illinois Slumdog #3

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,151 Posts

I love cast iron cookware, but have been looking at getting a small paella pan which is commonly found in carbon steel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast