Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BK 2 vs BK 16

Thanks

Default BK 2 vs BK 16

I've been doing some research here on th forum and other online resources,and I've decided on eigther the BK 2 or the BK 16. I want a knife to compliment my mora clipper necker but not something to big you know. I know the BK2 has a little over an inch longer blade but I'm still leaning towards the 16. I would use it for more heavier work like batoning when I'm on a small scout without my axe. Any thoughts on whether I should go with the bigger blade? Thanks

Tracker
    Thanks

I say go with the BK2 it is a TANK.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivewyo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bk2 you wont be disappointed

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WillH42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You may consider carrying only the 16, Kabar does a great heat treat and that knife will get very sharp, while still holding up to batoning. If youre looking for a two knife setup, I would go for a BK7 and your mora. I use that combo regularly. This being said, I have a BK2 headed my way, but I can't speak for it just yet.

Ben

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsoul For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,132 Posts

BK16 and Mora are going to fill the same niche. (I have both and love both)
    if you want something smaller/lighter than an axe or hatchet for processing wood, you might consider a bamboo knife, which is designed for splitting chores but only has a 6" blade.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 1066vik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 500 Posts

You really can't compare the two knives based on blade length or shape. Their properties go far beyond that and are really two dissimilar blades based on design objectives. The BK-2 was designed as a large general purpose camp knife. When you are done batoning with it you can use it to drive railroad spikes through the nearest Oldsmobile engine block.

The BK-16 was designed as more of an every day carry woodsman's knife. Smaller, lighter, handier but less capable of tackling the really big tasks that the BK-2 is better suited for.

If your interest is in something just to baton with then go with the BK-2. Forewarned is forearmed, though - it is a heavy hunk of metal and will pull your britches down.

If you can live without the requirement to be able to baton big wood then go with the BK-16. It is a better all-around field knife.

Neither is a bad choice. It just depends on your needs/wants.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,606 Times in 2,299 Posts

Good post bharen.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlh2 For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Gumbi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 300 Posts

If you want something you can beat on without a second thought, the BK2 certainly fills that role. It is 1/4" thick! I have only ever heard of 1 person who actually managed to break a BK2, and he was only able to do that after throwing his knife hundreds of times.
    The downside is the weight that comes with such a thick blade. But I will say that I have quickly gotten used to it, and I don't notice the weight very much until I pick up my Mora which feels light as a feather.

The BK16 is much closer in size and weight to a mora than the BK2.

I have a BK2, but not a BK16, so I can't speak first hand about them.

Your choice. Either way, Kabar Beckers have a very good reputation for being strong, dependable knives. I know I haven't been disappionted with my BK2.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gumbi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your opinions. Like I said, I want a Becker to compliment my mora. I guess I should of also said that I want a bigger blade not only for batoning, I want it small enough for smaller chores also. Just looking for something a little bigger and more heavy duty than the mora, but not a knife that will " pull my britches down" as bharen said. Lol

Scout Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

You might look into the tops fieldcraft knife. Ive had mine for a while and really find it to be a great balance between the beckers and moras. It offers IMHO the best of both worlds. I think the other guys have offered some very good advice also. Its all about what you personally like.
    μολὼν λαβέ

South Carolina Bushcrafters:
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/group.php?groupid=91

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast