Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BK 2 vs BK 16

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pitre View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your opinions. Like I said, I want a Becker to compliment my mora. I guess I should of also said that I want a bigger blade not only for batoning, I want it small enough for smaller chores also. Just looking for something a little bigger and more heavy duty than the mora, but not a knife that will " pull my britches down" as bharen said. Lol
    With this in mind, I'd suggest you look for a BK10 (5.5" blade, but 3/16" thick -- basically, a shortened BK7) or a Ritter Perseverence Mk2 (BK12) which is not made by Kabar, but is a collaboration Becker was part of -- it's a 6" long spearpoint blade 3/16" thick. Downside is it runs about $50 more than a BK2 or BK16. I also have both of these and they're good woods blades.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1066vik For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've got a BK-2 with a custom (JRE?) sheath made in Camillius that is nearly new, with an extra set of solid wood scales I am going to be putting up for sale soon if you are interested... $110 shipped. (the sheath is probably $70 or $80...)

Hal
    ------------------------------
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson

Bushclass Basic: Lessons - 2/13, Electives - 0/5, Outings - 0/5

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HalM For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have the BK2 and Mora. Just can't go wrong with that combo.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fotomaker57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hal, would you mind posting some pics?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,842 Times in 815 Posts

I have both. I love my BK2... But the BK16 is amazing too...

“All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.” ― T.K. Whipple
    Psalm 77 BushClass Basic: Lessons: 3/13; Electives: 1/5; Outings: 1/5

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chet Punisher For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pitre-

I will post some tomorrow night, I need to get it out of storage. I forgot I had it in my bushcrafting toolbox and not here with me....
    ------------------------------
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson

Bushclass Basic: Lessons - 2/13, Electives - 0/5, Outings - 0/5

Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 499 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1066vik View Post
    With this in mind, I'd suggest you look for a BK10 (5.5" blade, but 3/16" thick -- basically, a shortened BK7) or a Ritter Perseverence Mk2 (BK12) which is not made by Kabar, but is a collaboration Becker was part of -- it's a 6" long spearpoint blade 3/16" thick. Downside is it runs about $50 more than a BK2 or BK16. I also have both of these and they're good woods blades.
    A few good points here. The BK-10 is a great blade but is currently out of production. Ka-Bar has commented several times recently that it will be put back into production 'soon'. I consider it a better field blade than the BK-2, but I keep mine in pristine condition as a collector's item (I have one of the Camillus blades that was finished out by Ka-Bar). When Ka-Bar does re-introduce the BK-10 I'll be first in line to buy one.

The BK-12/Ritter Perseverence MK2 is an excellent knife and, again, a better all-around blade than the BK-2. But it is almost twice the price.

Another very good non-Becker 'whackaround blade' is the Ka-Bar Large Heavy Bowie. For the size the thing is surprisingly well balanced and has an excellent blade shape. It is a flat grind so, in theory, won't baton as well as the BK-2, but still should do just fine. You can usually pick one up for a few bucks less than the BK-2.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bharen For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Geektechnica's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a couple BK-14s, a BK-16, and a BK-12. I don't own a BK-2, but my buddy at work does and I've used it quite a bit. Overall, I think I prefer my BK-12 over the the BK-2, just seems a little more versatile to me. That said, my BK-14 is my favorite knife I own. It goes everywhere with me in a Skystorm leather pocket sheath:

The BK-16 is probably the most "bushcrafty" Becker, being of a very good size for a lot of different tasks, and very comfortable to use, but to compliment a smaller knife I'd go for something a bit bigger like the BK-12 (if you can afford it) or a BK-9 if wood-processing is your goal.

Beckerhead #232

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geektechnica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 358 Posts

BK2 weighs about a pound - that quarter inch thick blade rules but it is what it is. Sounds like you may be leaning towards the BK16 (super cool knife from what I've heard) but here's my BK2 commercial if you are still undecided ...

It whittles tiny spoons and forks and things...

It prepares the most flamable object in the known universe...

It chops seasoned oak for no good reason...

It cleans fish...

It poses majestically...

What's not to love?

---

Beckerhead #42

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SlayerOfBunnies For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for y'alls opinions, I've decided to go with the bk2, I mean, I could always tighten my belt one more notch lol!!
    Thanks again

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast