Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best deal on quality wool socks?

Scout
    Building guns in the shadow of Appalachia
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exy View Post
    How long do these bad boys usually last you?
    Not Ian, but a wear those socks on a daily basis, and I get several years out of mine. Have a pair or two that are over 5y/o.

Took a few pair back that had started developing holes (one of which the dog shredded), and they replaced them at my local BPS no questions asked. I'm a fan.

Connected via SkyNet

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WarDoggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sams Club also has a 3 pack of merino wool socks for $15. They are very nice I plan on getting a second pack after trying these out.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gunner65 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I didn't see Sierra Trading Post mentioned ..... my "go-to" place for all clothing and gear.

Sign up for e-mail sale notifications and wait for on-line coupons and reduced shipping options. They carry lots of major brands including my personal favorite, Smartwool. I've bought many pairs at 60 to 80% off retail with .99 shipping.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 41magfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As others have said, you get what you pay for with wool socks. I have Smartwool, Keen, Patagonia, Icebreaker, and Wigwam socks. I've had the Icebreakers for at least 4 years and they are still going strong even with everyday use. The others are all doing great too. I usually pick up socks like this if they are on sale (thats why so many different brands). Basically, if they are made for hikers and look like smart wool they will treat you right. Check out Sierra Trading Post online. They have huge discounts on a lot of hiking clothing.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mountain girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exy View Post
    How long do these bad boys usually last you?
    I have only had to turn in one pair, due to my own stupidity, and that is with almost daily use over the past two years. They are holding up extremely well. They are not for hot weather use though, at least not for everyone, as they are thick and heavy. I would look at SmartWool for lightweight wool socks.

Very Upstate NY (any further North and I would be a Canadian)but grew up in Wisconsin
    Thanks

I only buy the threepack wool boot socks from Sam's club and have for more than 5 years. They are EXTREMELY long lasting and warm. In my old job I wore hikers most days and always wore the Sam's Club socks. Prior to that, I wore Thorlos. Thorlo is a good sock but only lasted a fraction of the time. Trust me, you cannot do better for the money.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 95bv5 For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

I buy ONLY the costco socks for everyone in the family they will fit. I would buy them for the little kids if Costco sold smaller sizes. $3 a pair for socks that are as good as REI housebrand or Smartwool. They last way longer than anything else I have found.

They are not as good as Smartwool for camping, when not washing or washing from the creek (they mat down more), but for daily wear they can't be beat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I have several pair of these from Bass Pro Shops and I love them. Plus they have a lifetime warranty...
    http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Lifet...product/34713/

WOW 81% but $10 bucks is great! All the socks I've seen are $16 +

Certifiably Bushed Supporter WoodsJack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,821 Times in 1,748 Posts

I've been buying 'em locally from a guy at a flea market and really liking these. He (re)labels these as "Superlative Socks" (don't know OEM) and tags 'em as Made in USA.

Merino with Nylon/Spandex mixes too. Three different "weights".

415-902-8023

Thanks

I've tried them all and every time I go back to "Smartwool". I wear them every day for work and play. My work days are normally 12 hours and average 5 days a week. I buy 5-6 pairs every 3 years or so. The last time I found them online and if I remember correctly they were ~$10 each to the door.

The REI socks ended up with holes in odd spots and the Cabela's and BassPro socks seem to fit loose and fall down into my boots too easy.

Good luck, Ski

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ohski For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast