Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best deal on quality wool socks?

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Check out Darn tough socks as well. I was issued a few of these, after some hard use down in Georgia, they are my new favorite socks. I've tried the USGI wool socks and the fox river synthetic socks. The GI socks work well enough but they will wear out over time and begin to ride down in your boot. Darn tough will stay put over extended periods and they resist odor, they are pricey though.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

I just went to REI yesterday, they are having a sale there-the socks were half off (no pun intended!!!). I picked up 3 pair of ragg wool socks. They were $10 each. If you are an REI member, now is the time to pick those up
    My blog: http://oldsoldiersadventures.blogspot.com/ Intermediate cert progression: 2 of 11 classes, 0 of 7 electives, 2 of 3 overnights, 5 of 10 outings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    I just went to REI yesterday, they are having a sale there-the socks were half off (no pun intended!!!). I picked up 3 pair of ragg wool socks. They were $10 each. If you are an REI member, now is the time to pick those up
    Years ago I went into a dhoe store in a mall to pick up some laces for my hiking boots. As I walked the teenage girl that worked there said,"Hello, welcome to Surefit. Just to let you know our socks are hslf off today." And she pointed at an enormous display of socks. I replied,"They look all they way off to me."
    The next day I had to go back because I had bought 48" laces when I meant to buy 60" oned.
    As I entered a different young lady repeated the store greet and also said,"Our socks are hslh off today." She didn't point at the sock display however. So I replied, "Well you're wesring slacks so it doesn't show.both girls giggled in that way young women have when you catch them offgaurd with a comment.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,978 Times in 812 Posts

Thumbs up One for Winter. One for other.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I have several pair of these from Bass Pro Shops and I love them. Plus they have a lifetime warranty...
    http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Lifet...product/34713/
    I bought two pairs of these exact socks two years ago and they are holding strong. I primarily use them for just winter socks as they are pretty thick and warm. But OH MY LORD do they feel great on your feet. It's like slipping your foot up a sheep's ass (whatever that really means). They are soft and pillow like. I love em to sleep in when Im winter camping.

Quote Originally Posted by Docjo View Post
    Check out Darn tough socks as well. I was issued a few of these, after some hard use down in Georgia, they are my new favorite socks. I've tried the USGI wool socks and the fox river synthetic socks. The GI socks work well enough but they will wear out over time and begin to ride down in your boot. Darn tough will stay put over extended periods and they resist odor, they are pricey though.
    I bought a pair of Darn Tough a year ago and haven't looked back! The most durable construction of any sock I have ever tried on. You can actually feel how "tough" they are. They wick well, feel well and dont appear to wear anywhere. I use these as my day to day sock and as my summer camp/hike sock (yes, i wear them multiple days in a row before washing- they dont seem to hold odor like cotton socks do). Highly recommend both pairs of socks!!!
    "..honest to the point of recklessness,
    self centered to the extreme.."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I have several pair of these from Bass Pro Shops and I love them. Plus they have a lifetime warranty...
    http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Lifet...product/34713/
    Me too! They have been great. I plan on getting 2 more pair just to keep in my pack.

Tracker
    Thanks

Basspro shop's wool sock, thy have a lifetime warrenty.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,874 Times in 1,925 Posts

I have been through all the manufacturers and was shocked even cabelas and ll beans wool socks almost every single one has 50% or less wool in them I was crazy shocked how few had over 18% wool in them bought three pairs of basspro lifetime socks they are $ 9.99 each and they are 81% wool smoked everything else really thick really comfortable usually cabeleas has a slight edge over baspro but not even close on the socks I have searched all over the internet and have some really great wool clothing and this by far was the best wool socks money can buy and at a fraction of the others prices.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,734 Times in 740 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bharen View Post
    Two of the best brands of wool socks I've had on my feet (and that's pretty much all I wear) are the REI house brand of light hiking socks and the Smart Wool brand of low (mid-calf) hiking socks.

One pair of each will reasonably last about 6 months of regular use.

They are not cheap, though. The REI socks run about $11/pair and the Smart Wool about $15/pair. But they are worth every penny as far as I'm concerned - outstanding fit, no hot-spots or seams where you can feel them, very good cushioning.

I also like the Thorlo-brand light hiking socks. They are not wool, but are outstanding socks.

Socks, like footwear, are not something you should go cheap on. I'm willing to pay the price to keep my footsies happy.
    +1, I have the Smart Wool Trekking mid calf and those are the warmest socks I have ever had on my feet.
    2014 - 17 Nights Under the Stars - and counting
    54B ~ BladeScrounger #5 ~ Machete Mafia
    Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
    non timebo mala
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 3,528 Posts
    Items for Sale

Say what you will about Smart Wool,

I have purchased a few sets of the "3 pair of merino omni-wool socks" from sams club online with free shipping for $15

They have held up incredibly well, the value cannot be beat.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456