Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Yogurt

Thanks

That's some good stuff. I make it in a quart canning jar, just fill up the jar with whole milk, microwave (it needs to hit around 180 degrees, that takes 4 minutes in my microwave). Let it cool till it's lukewarm (around 95-100 def F), add in a spoonful of yogurt, stir, loosely cap, and stick it in the oven with the light on (my oven holds around 98 degrees). I let it set 12-16 hours because I like it firm you er and tangier.

If you use too much starter yogurt it can make it too thin, so if you have that problem don't worry, just add a little less next time and see if that fixes it.

If you have some that just stays thin and runny, no problem, you have cultured buttermilk! You can also mix a spoonful or two of yogurt into a cup of milk to make a buttermilk substitute.

If you let it sit till it's nice and tangy and drain off the whey you end up with a thick greek style yogurt. I use it instead of sour cream - similar taste, probably healthier.

If you want to try fermented pickles save the whey, you can add a little to your pickle jar to help jump-start the fermentation. It's lacto-fermentation (bacteria based) so it makes acetic acid, not alcohol, btw. Check out this blog for a start on fermented pickles (his politics may not be your cup of tea, but the guy knows good food): http://www.wildfermentation.com/fermentation-blog/
    Last edited by woodsmith; 11-12-2012 at 02:08 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodsmith For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

This seems great. I eat lots of yogurt. I should post up recipes later.

Thanks

Thanks for all this info. Think we have a spammer up in the thread.

Oh see he is gone now, good!
    Last edited by solar geek; 11-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks

I'm with woodsmith on the firm+tangy goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsmith View Post
    If you want to try fermented pickles save the whey, you can add a little to your pickle jar to help jump-start the fermentation. It's lacto-fermentation (bacteria based) so it makes acetic acid, not alcohol, btw. Check out this blog for a start on fermented pickles (his politics may not be your cup of tea, but the guy knows good food): http://www.wildfermentation.com/fermentation-blog/
    My memory of the processes is:

lactobacteria + sugars = lactic acid
    vs
    yeast + sugars = alcohol; and then
    acetobacteria + alcohol = acetic acid (vinegar)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
    I decant a serving each evening and drain it on a coffee filter in a sieve overnight in the fridge. Comes out very dense as you say. I pour the collected {whey?} out onto the dog's kibble in the morning. She loves it and I assume it's good for her gut.
    Or you can use the whey to "start" a good fermented hot sauce!

Tracker
    Thanks

I do not throw out the whey. I either mix it back in. It is more runny but that does not bother me.
    Or I pour it off and drink it. After all body builders use powdered whey protien.

Thanks

When the kids were home we used to make it by the gallon twice a week. We like yogurt.

When we made it we used powdered milk which makes it fat free. Don't get me wrong, I like fat, but the fat free is an option.

We mixed all kinds of nuts, fruits, and even some breakfast cereals in it. (Not all at the same time LOL) Better than milk for cereal.

Alas, we purchased a gas stove without a pilot light and no longer make it. I need to make a proofing box and start again.

By the way, the experts claim if you eat yogurt every day you will never have Gastro Intestinal problems. I don't know about that, but it sure taste good.
    Where is the fun in buying something when you can make it.

Mt 7:21

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12