Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bannock

Thanks

i have not made bannock yet, it is easy enough but I guess im just lazy. I take the jiffy mixes, cornbread, blueberry whatever and just add water in the pan, no mess easy to mix up. I need to make real bannock just to see how I like it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 504 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anubis1335 View Post
    If you put the dry mix in a ziplock you can just add water to the mix in the bag, cut a corner off the zipolock bag and pipe it into your skillet.

What i use is

1 cup ap flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    Add enough water to make a thick pancake like batter in the bag..mix by squishing it all aroundin the ziplock baggie(no mess!) then pipe it into our skillet. Takes all the mess outta the process
    That's a good idea. I've been putting too much bannock mix into my bag. I should be bringing more baggies with individual portions instead... thanks for the tip!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post
    I do the baggie mix also, its easier for me since I can make as much as I need.
    No more, no less...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cb2YqhaB20
    Fast Forward to 8:30 for a good recipe
    Great scare at the end haha

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,876 Times in 1,926 Posts

Bushcraftbartons has a great video on you tube about this and he's funny too

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rolandsilvajr For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I love Bisquik mix! Do the mix in bag trick too.
    I like it too, but I find it a bit too salty for my taste. I have an old car camping cookbook from the 70's that has a recipe to make your own Bisquick. I'll post it up in another thread if anyone is interested. It makes a good base for lots of recipes from bannock, to pancakes, and fish batter.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beeperboy For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post
    I do the baggie mix also, its easier for me since I can make as much as I need.
    No more, no less...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cb2YqhaB20
    Fast Forward to 8:30 for a good recipe
    i havent made it yet, and ive seen so many people talking about it, so I guess i'll have to give it a try

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beeperboy View Post
    I like it too, but I find it a bit too salty for my taste. I have an old car camping cookbook from the 70's that has a recipe to make your own Bisquick. I'll post it up in another thread if anyone is interested. It makes a good base for lots of recipes from bannock, to pancakes, and fish batter.
    Ya it is a bit salty, probably why I like it so much. I sweat alot and drink ALOT of water so my body usually craves salt! Would love to see that recipe tho.

Scout
    Thanks

i carry mine in a peanut butter jar, and I use sugar free syrup, and a splash of water. Mix it in a cup or bowl and put it on the board to cook.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BENCH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,594 Times in 584 Posts

Like many here I premix the dry ingredients at home, bring it in a ziplock bag, and then, as Anubis1335 recommended, prepare it in the bush by adding water to the ziplock bag. There are no measuring devices to bring and nothing to clean up afterward. Lightweight, won't spoil, fast, simple and tidy. As with any camp meal, it's a good idea prepare and cook it at home the first time using only what you'd have available to you when in the bush.

Below is the recipe I use:

Mix together the following ingredients and seal into a ziplock bag:
    1 cup flour (pastry flour or all-purpose)
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 tablespoon sugar
    4 tablespoons milk powder
    pinch of salt

Preparation:
    Add water slowly to dry ingredients right in the ziplock bag. Mix into a dough with a spoon or just mix by squishing the bag around.
    Let sit 5-10 minutes to rise slightly.

Cooking:
    Flatten dough into a disk about an inch thick and
    bake in camping oven until brown (approx 12 minutes)
    OR
    fry each side over low heat in lightly greased pan over fire or stove until browned.
    OR
    Roll dough into a rope and wrap (helix-like) around a green stick and cook over small fire or coals until browned.

Hope this helps,
    -Martin

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PineMartyn For This Useful Post:

ppine

If we are going to talk about traditional foods, why not talk about traditonal methods? Carry your bannock in a canvas sack with a draw string. It can be mixed ahead of time, but just make an indentation in the top of the mix. Add water into the bag and mix until it is the right consistency. Nothing to wash. Wrap around a stick, cook and enjoy. People that use ziplock bags, white plastic bags, orange plastic handled knives, etc. need to ask themsleves why they are interested in bushcraft in my opinion. It would help anyone interested in the old ways to attend a full-fledged rendezvous. The kind where a plastic cooler has to be covered up. Make your camp look like it is from 1912 or 1840. Avoid plastic and new materials.

If your bannock is too salty, don't put so much salt in it next time. Make up your own recipes. I like it with raisins and some nutmeg thrown in.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast