Thread: h&r pardner pump?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 380 Posts

Default h&r pardner pump?

I was curious to know if anyone could offer me opinions on the h&r pardner pump..The reviews I;ve read on line have been solid.. It appears to be designed off the Rem 870, and h&r is owned by rem, although the pardner pump comes in an half the price of the 870.
    Most of the reviews I've read have been from new users however so I'm looking to see if anyone had a little more experience.

I'm currently torn between the pardner pump compact, or the classic single shot pardner compact
    to use as a gen purpose hunting fire arm primarily for small game, but with the capapbilty for the odd deer hunt.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

I have had a pardner pump turkey for nearly 5 years. great gun, i got mine for 235 when they first came out and it has been well worth it. However it is noticeably heavier than the 870 and even the Mossberg 500. Mine has a 22'' bbl with screw in choke. It also has fiber optic sights. If you are going to shoot 3 '' shells, you need to remember to "jack" the round in more forcefully as it does not always pull the shell from the mag into the chamber. I also replaced the butt pad on mine with a limbsaver ( if you plan on shooting alot, get one) The one i put on is not an exact match in dimensions (hard to find one to fit an HR pardner pump as the stock is really slim) but it has been more enjoyable to shoot. I would have no problems purchasing another HR if i had need of it. Hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to crawford1775 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've had an 18" Pardner Pump for a few years now. I don't get to shoot it as often as I'd like, but I've never had any problems with it. One thing to be aware of... it will take Rem 870 accessories, but it WILL NOT take Rem 870 barrels.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMcPhisticuffs For This Useful Post:

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,369 Times in 3,856 Posts

I have had the 18" model for many years and use it for everything. It's a heavy one as it's all steel, but I have many thousands of shells through it shooting skeet, taking my guard cirt, hunting, etc.

The single shot is very light weight, the pump is heavy. So, if you don't care about the lbs, I'd get the pump. I have both but hardly use the break actions anymore.
    http://www.facebook.com/mpknives

MP Knives Sub Forum
    My YouTube
    http://mpknives.com

"So many of our natural instincts are smothered by society, and much of our daily lives are directed by false goals, dictated to us by others. Even in this day and age, with our sophisticated technology and developed culture, it must still be important, just occasionally, to find a wild place." ~Guy Grieve "Call of the wild: My Escape to Alaska"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 556mp For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

they're made in China right?

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,369 Times in 3,856 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottman View Post
    they're made in China right?
    Yep. One of few things that Ive use that were made in china and worth a damn.
    http://www.facebook.com/mpknives

MP Knives Sub Forum
    My YouTube
    http://mpknives.com

"So many of our natural instincts are smothered by society, and much of our daily lives are directed by false goals, dictated to us by others. Even in this day and age, with our sophisticated technology and developed culture, it must still be important, just occasionally, to find a wild place." ~Guy Grieve "Call of the wild: My Escape to Alaska"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 556mp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 383 Posts

i have one, it is a heaver gun but it shoots good, i got the turkey gun and use it for a deer gun(yes i got different chokes). if you do get it, it kicks hard with 3 inch slugs 2 3/4 is okay. if you have the money i would go with the 870. parts are easier to come by and it will last forever.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CKjeep84 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Love H&R! Never had the Pardner though. I know its an 870 clone, Made in China and imported by Hawke. Same folks who have the Norinco Int. Arms Shotguns. From what I've read and heard the Pardner is a solid product. Lots of good reviews. Only part that doesnt change out with Rem 870 is the barrels. Hope this helps.

My personal preference (which means absolutely nothing) is the single shot. I have an affinity with single shot breach loading weapons. H&R being my favorite. I love the fact you can change the barrels out if you need to. You can also use the ss 12ga as a muzzleloader too! But like I said, I'm partial. I quit using any other rifle but the H&R (other than a 22 that ive had for years.)
    Last edited by Thunderwood; 11-09-2012 at 03:35 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderwood For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The pump has good reviews. I too have a thing for single shot break opens. Very few things to break, easy to use and clean. Light and carries well. Get the Pardner first, can't go wrong with it and its cheap. Then get the pump latter.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Juice For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I can only echo what has already been said. Good gun, good value,solid built and heavy. But the weight does help soak up recoil of heaver loads. Its a trade off. The lighter single shot is an awsome gun but kicks like heck. I like my pump. No problems. The only thing I would add is if hunting, especially bird and small game is what you intend to use it for you do not want the 18" cyl bore barrell, but rather the longer one with the choke tubes. More versitle and a better choice, in my opinion.
    TDP

18. The Following User Says Thank You to twodollarpistol For This Useful Post: