Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ontario Blackie Collins "Machete"/Fighting Knife

Thanks
    Thanked 4,756 Times in 1,445 Posts

Default Ontario Blackie Collins "Machete"/Fighting Knife

Yesterday, I ran across one of these. I looked it up online and saw they were selling new for about $25, although someone bought one used on eBay last month for almost $60. But both of those were with sheaths. The sheath that was with the one I got is actually a longer "cordura" type material that was folded to suit the length. However, unfolded, it'll take my longer Promedoca machete.

I just nosed around the web a bit and am not finding much exposure/coverage of these blades, in particular. This seems to fit in my mix somewhere roughly in the "chopper" slot, between the machete and, say, the BK-7. It's now about as dull a blade as I've ever seen, so needs some serious sharpening. But the edge is only a bit nicked and being 1095, 1/8" thick I think it'll come back just fine. It's got a 12" blade, but with 1.5" or so unground by the handle for a cutting length of 10.5" and OAL of 18"

These must not be too popular, noting the absence of appearances online? I paid $15 for it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WoodsJack For This Useful Post:

Thanks

$15 with sheath not bad at all. A good 12" machete. I like it and would have got it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lg&m For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 674 Posts

I'm pretty sure that those were made with Ontario blades, just a diferent (and perhaps more comfortable) handle put on to it.

Good score for $15.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bushwolf For This Useful Post:

swoody126

i have one & love it

it rides in my truck @ all times

hard to beat COLLINS or ONTARIO, when it comes to a tool to be used in every day situations

DITTO, for being able to depend on a tool in an emergency

just an OLD MAN'S point of view

sw

8. The Following User Says Thank You to swoody126 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,141 Times in 1,934 Posts

Very good score!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rlh2 For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Nice, I really like that good price .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon308 For This Useful Post:

The Great Commission Supporter wooly bugger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 388 Posts

I can't attest to the handle on yours but with a convex, that blade is a real work horse. Great snag!

Attachment 55555
    "We go ultra light with 20 lbs packs so that we can carry 40 lbs of axes, saws, and knives." - Hugin

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13 / Machete Mafia / Stuff for Sale - HERE

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wooly bugger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,756 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bushwolf View Post
    I'm pretty sure that those were made with Ontario blades, just a diferent (and perhaps more comfortable) handle put on to it.

Good score for $15.
    Yeah, it's an Ontario blade. I was having trouble figuring out why the versions I can find online were so cheap new retail, and why any of these are relatively hardly mentioned even among blade enthusiasts, yet just last month both that were sold on eBay, used, went for quite a bit: one for around $60 and the other around $100. Online auction dummies, or what?

Seems that this model was actually a military model, with "U.S." stamped on the blade too. And the handle is a bit different from the consumer models. I guess these are "rarer" and, perhaps, "collectibles" among some folks. ALL of my blades are "users" though. So far.

Tracker
    Thanks

I've had one for nearly 20 years now. I lost it for the last 5 or so years, and just found it again Monday night. I am super stoked to mod it with the half skandi, half convex grind. But this is a little hard using only a file and sand-paper.

Baryonyx Walkeri Vendor FortyTwoBlades's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,165 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homebody View Post
    I've had one for nearly 20 years now. I lost it for the last 5 or so years, and just found it again Monday night. I am super stoked to mod it with the half skandi, half convex grind. But this is a little hard using only a file and sand-paper.
    Dude--don't worry about putting a scandi section on it. Just sharpen the whole thing nice and thin at 15 degrees per side and you'll be just fine and dandy. A properly thinned and refined 30 degree included angle on a machete edge will not only carve like a Mora--it'll chop better too.
    Baryonyx Knife Co.--Owner

"To live at all is miracle enough"~Mervyn Peake

Machete Mafia

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FortyTwoBlades For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast