Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Longbow prices

Banned Member
    Thanks

Default Longbow prices

I have been considering buying a traditional style Longbow.
    I have a fair amount of experience with archery hunting, but it was all with compound bows, and it's been a few years besides.
    I have 0 experience with longbows.
    One of the things I'm finding most confusing is the wide range of prices. I see new bows on ebay for anywhere from $50 to several hundred dollars.
    If a person is looking to buy an entry level general purpose bow for targets and perhaps some deer hunting, ROUGHLY how much coin does one need to scratch together to buy a serviceable bow and a few arrows?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,317 Times in 1,181 Posts

Howdy Uncle....
    check into the Martin L-100 for a good bow at a great price. I own one and it's treated me well for a few years. I target shoot with it and although I haven't had the pleasure of taking a deer I did take this 222lb boar with it....

IMG_7009.jpg
    Last edited by JimBow; 11-15-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: photo

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 1,331 Posts

I have limited experience with archery, just getting back into it this past summer. I found that going over to 3 rivers archery, here on the web, I got a LOT of info on whats out there. I wanted something inexpensive, in the event I didnt take to it. And, something I could take apart to store over the winter. I got a Samick Sage (many, many folks here recommended it), in 45#, completely set up for ME, for under $200. For me, it was a perfect fit. If I need to go up higher in poundage, I can simply order more limbs. Its a recurve, which isnt exactly what you are looking for, but there is a LOT of archery knowledge on their site, and I would highly recommend checking them out.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oldsoldier For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

As has been mentioned, 200-300 dollars is about right to start from scratch. You don't need to get a 1000 custom bow just starting out. If your set on a longbow I'd look at crows head for a more traditional wood bow and any of the big bow makers for a modern fiberglass bow. I will say though to avoid getting caught up on quivers, gloves/tabs, arm guards starting out. You will need these things sure, but don't blow your budget on a $200 custom tooled quiver that has no arrows in it. Save your money and get good (read quality, not expensive) carbon arrows to start with. You'll have better success in the earlier stages than with wood and you can play with different point weights without having to make whole new sets of arrows. Though once you get into it and discover the fun of making your own arrows that last excuse won't fly anymore.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RM_Rambler For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have recurves and long bows from the 200 to 900 dollar range. I find the Samick's to be very good bows for either target or deer hunting. I have a Samick Stingray 45# recurve that I have been using for deer hunting this year. I bought it on-line at Lancaster Archery for 220.00.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fiddlehead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 644 Posts

+1 for the L100, that was my first longbow (still have it). Check the classifieds at tradgang or stickbow, there are deals to be had...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tree-ratsniper For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

My longbow was bought in 1994 as a highschool graduation present to myself for about 350.00. The same bow today from the same.custom bowyer is a little over 800.00... The bowyer's name is David Miller and has a website called Millerlongbows.com, he makes true Howard Hill style longbows and was trained by a man who was trained by Hill Himself. He is also close friends with Byron Ferguson and is from Lebanon IN. Great guy and the bows are worth their price.

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,239 Times in 4,173 Posts

I took a chance at a $100 70's era Bear Grizzly recurve off Ebay... it had a dent or cut in the handle... looked like it had been in a pile of stuff on someone's workbench and someone pulled a handsaw across it, or dropped something on it... turned out to be purely cosmetic, and I have a good bow. i think it was $77 and 20 shipping... something close to that. most of the ones in better shape were running around $125...

My arrows ran about $10 apiece, with target points, nocked and fletched. they're carbon fiber with a woodgrain print. I got a dozen, but you only really need 5 to shoot/practice... more than that, they start getting hit by other arrows.

Made my own armguard from a piece of latigo leather i got from the friend who made my first quiver (looks a lot like this one. http://www.selfbow.com/jackstraditio...estalkers.html )

My shooting glove was about $12. A tab is cheaper (around half that, iirc) but i don't like it as much. It was 3 layers, and kinda fiddley... if i had one with just one layer, i might use that.

My bow-mounted quiver was about $80... http://www.3riversarchery.com/quiver...X_product.html I'm sure you could come up with something cheaper on your own.

My target is one of those YellowJacket ones, but you can get 2 stacked bales of hay for $9 a bale, or $35 for a round bale, at least around here, and stick some paper plates on it with a stick.

So, let's see... 100, 80, 50, 12, plus 18 for the hay... That's about $260.

edit: wait. i forgot the string... it cost me about $20 for a new bowstring.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,104 Times in 1,821 Posts

KP Archery has some nice longbows at very decent prices: http://stores.ebay.com/KP-Archery?_t...p2047675.l2563

Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 910 Posts

Look at the pse heritage series longbow they are great shooters or check out redmountainarchery.com great bows at great prices even have full kits

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast