Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Longbow prices

Thanks

Sweet deal...

Thanks

I'm getting back into bowhunting myself and decided to go the same route, I bought a longbow from GI Bows and recieved it today.
    I'll have to finish sanding,staining and putting the finish on it.
    It was on sale for $45 + $5 for an arrow rest then shipping which was about $8. The bow comes with a string and stringer.

I have to say that I'm happy that I have spring and summer to practice, after stringing the bow tonight and drawing it back
    my chest hurts LOL muscles that have'nt pulled a bow in many years

Thanks

Its awesome that you are interested in longbows! Ive been a traditional archer for several years and use english longbows mostly. A good one will set you back between 100 and 200....my favorite bows are all from [url]www.rudderbows.com[url] check out the triple laminate english longbow in about 35-45 lbs.

Tracker
    Thanks

I would go with a recurve if you plan on using it for hunting, a short recurve at that. Longbows tend to find a lot more branches and limbs out in the woods. When I first got into archery, I bought a Martin Hatfield takedown recurve and a Howard Hill longbow. I ended up not using the longbow much, it wasn't as practical or as fast/accurate. Longbows definitely look cool tho.

Martin, Bear, and PSE all make affordable recurves and longbows. Black Widow makes some really nice bows if you can afford them.

One note about used bows--old laminated bows will sometimes have bad laminate seperation, and even if they don't, if they haven't been stored properly and/or shot in a long time, the fiberglass could start cracking on you with your very first shot and the layers would then start seperating. This can happen with even the best of bows.

Just my advice, but don't buy a used bow from someone that lives in a really cold area. The bow has probably been subject to too many temperature/humidity extremes. That's what happened to my Hill longbow.

Thanks

I can't add much to what is said about the bows mentioned and the costs.

However you might look into making your own bow. There is a lot of information about it on the web and on you tube. There is even information about making them out of PVC pipe.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimBow View Post
    Howdy Uncle....
    check into the Martin L-100 for a good bow at a great price. I own one and it's treated me well for a few years. I target shoot with it and although I haven't had the pleasure of taking a deer I did take this 222lb boar with it....

Attachment 55811
    They discontinued this bow. I loved it, and wanted to buy one for my first one as well... I was very disappointed until I bought my custom.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Alvah View Post
    I have been considering buying a traditional style Longbow.
    I have a fair amount of experience with archery hunting, but it was all with compound bows, and it's been a few years besides.
    I have 0 experience with longbows.
    One of the things I'm finding most confusing is the wide range of prices. I see new bows on ebay for anywhere from $50 to several hundred dollars.
    If a person is looking to buy an entry level general purpose bow for targets and perhaps some deer hunting, ROUGHLY how much coin does one need to scratch together to buy a serviceable bow and a few arrows?
    I would seriously consider a Hunter model longbow, from www.bamabows.com ... I got my first one from there, it was this last summer. They are the cheapest custom makers I could find, and their work is outstanding. Mine ran me about $400 - for a 100% custom bow at this price, I could not be happier. I got mine in 55#, 62"... I would recommend 55# for deer, elk,, antelope... anything worth shooting. Its not too lite, and it has all the power you need. Also, if you are worried about the draw being too heavy, I am 16, and 55# is no sweat. The day I got it, I shot about 70 arrows through it... I had 12 arrows to start, and ended with ten lol; as it was my first time ever, and I stunk, but the thing is, I was able to do so without getting too tired out. Although, I would recommend an armguard right off the bat; I did not then, and I still don't, but after hitting my arm 7 or 8 times, I wanted one (I am getting better with it now though lol ).

Hope this helps. I would give Nate a call from Bamabows... he is a great guy, and was very helpful with me first starting out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnkochee View Post
    KP Archery has some nice longbows at very decent prices: http://stores.ebay.com/KP-Archery?_t...p2047675.l2563
    I am glad someone else knows about these folks. I was going to recommend them too.

KP Archery has some very good shooting very low cost longbows. These are a great choice to test out the waters and see how well you like the long bow field without investing too much into the bow up front. You will end up spending more on your arrows than your bow going the KP route, but the bows are still very good quality and will give you a good chance to form an opinion on weither you want to keep down the long bow path. Since the OP is used to compounds, and has no longbow experience, this inexpensive but still good quality bows is a great way to gain experience.

Long bows are definitely different from compounds, so there will be quite a bit of unfamiliarity and discomfort at first. You also might need to get some different gear associated with longbows.

You might want to look at getting a Sherwood Archery Bracer from Ravenswood

Which is designed to protect your knuckles while shooting off the knuckle with longbows. Which is something you will need, as the fletching can cut your knuckles up pretty bad if you don't have a glove. You can of course just wear a decent leather glove while shooting and not get the special glove. But I figured showing you this was a good idea to get the idea started for you.

Another great option for wood arrows which you will likely want to use with your longbow is Merril Marketing Archery. They sell a dozen 3 fletched arrows for $65 with nocks and field points cut to size and a choice of shaft stains and fletching colors. This is the cheapest custom wood arrow seller I have seen, and yet still produces decent quality arrows. Most custom wood arrows will cost $65 for half a dozen so you can see how major a deal this is.

I would suggest if you pick up a KP Archery bow and find you like longbows, to then start looking at the 3Rivers Archery longbows. I discovered 3Rivers years and years ago after seeing their Tomahawk Bows® SS Longbow - Takedown Diamond Series but at $980, too much money for my more casual archery interest, but I did end up getting the Samick Sage through 3Rivers and have to say I do really like them. 3Rivers has a great selection for the traditional archer and specializes in traditional archery.

Whatever you end up for a longbow, I hope you enjoy it. Traditional archery is very fun and challenging and quite addictive. Always nice hearing someone is getting interested in it and trying to find what they need to get started in it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ineffableone For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I have never had these problems... the only accessory I use is a finger tab, but even at that, I prefer to shoot with just my fingers.

Banned Member
    Thanks

That Red Mountain is a nice site, good looking bows too, but it says he is not accepting orders at the moment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast