Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knife "Scout Style" Carry

Thanks

I carry my BK2 scout style and I find it is a comfortable way to carry it. It balances the weight well so I forget it's even there.

Thanks

As I understand it, the Seax was carried in a mostly horizontal sheath that hung from the back of the belt, depending on it's size. The only thing I've got rigged up for scout carry is a Fallkniven S1 in the early factory Kydex sheath with a TekLok belt attachment on back.

Matt in Tx

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,417 Times in 4,374 Posts

I carried a Gerber Mark 1 dagger for awhile as an infantryman, upside down on my LBE strap. Convenient, but i always worried about the release letting go when i wasn't looking. it was handy though, and putting it away was no problem. but i hated LBE, and still don't like anything 'vesty' for carrying my stuff.

I'll stick with my dangler sheath... handy, doesn't get in the way when kneeling or paddling, fits my style of working.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I've experimented with this style off and on over the years, and found that it does offer a few advantages. You can draw and sheath the knife in normal or reverse grip with equal ease. It also frees up your hip to carry something you're accessing more frequently than your knife, such as handgun, your compass in a pouch, or an axe during shelter construction or fire building.

That said, I've moved away from "scout" carry due to some disadvantages. Unless you pack is small and riding high on your shoulders, then it will bang awkwardly into your knife. A shoulder bag riding on your hip will also tend to tangle with the knife handle. Unless your layers are tucked into your pants, there's a good chance your blade will get fouled up in the cloth as you draw/sheath the knife. I now almost exclusively use right hip carry for small knives and baldric for longer blades. I would only consider "scout" style for smaller knives, ~4" or less, but I'm also pretty narrow

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified tennecedar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,250 Times in 1,525 Posts

I carry my Trailmate small-of-the-back style. It's small enough to be comfortable.

Compared to an ESEE 4

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tennecedar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 553 Posts

Scout carry is for going light weight. You go out with only your knife, with maybe your other weapons, and what's on your body or perhaps a haversack. I use it for scouting in heavy brush or when stalking. Sometimes on my back, sometimes in the front. If you're carrying a pack or even a hip pack it's not doable and was never meant for that.
    Lately I've been carrying my SRK's that way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudraker For This Useful Post:

Thanks

About half the orders I do a month are for scout sheaths, but I personally am not a big fan of it. It is fine for drawing your knife, but when you are reinserting it into the sheath is when it can be difficult. I see it as being applicable in warm weather, or if you are wearing a belt over your parka or anorak, otherwise your clothing is going to get in the way. I do like large knives in scout carry though(BK9, RTAKll, Junglas), and that is mainly because the sheath is long enough that I can turn around and physically see the opening of the sheath to aid in reinserting the knife.

If you use the scout carry method enough, you will eventually develop a muscle memory for it, but that may take awhile. You just need to assess your other equipment first,and determine if this method of carry is going to work with they rest of your kit. It may not be for everyone, but you never know until you try it.
    Last edited by Goose; 11-20-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    Sagewood Gear

"Where there is a will, there is a way, and there is always a way."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goose For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 422 Posts

I most often use a belt sheath on my left hip.

Many years ago when I first tried scout carry I cut my finger trying to feel for the mouth of the sheath and insert the knife. That was probably before tom brown dubbed the words scout carry. I tried it again several years ago and it's not for me.

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 361 Posts

I have a sheath I had made from JRE Industries out of Chicago. Check out their website, it is really good. It was a scout style shead for my Fallkniven S1. I have a firesteel loop on it too. I carry it on my left side and in the small of my back.

I also use a TekLock for the Kydex sheath of my ESEE - 3. Love this little knife. The Tek Lock allows you to have the sheath vertical or horizontal and gives you good stability of the sheath on the belt or whatever you are hanging it on.

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 361 Posts

I also use the TekLock on my Izula to scout carry on my wader suspenders when I am fly fishing for cleaning trout.

Dragon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast