Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long bow and 30" draw

Thanks

When I started shooting a bow, the compound had not been invented. Later in life I bought a compound and tried it. I just do not like them. I much prefer the longbow. I am in the information gathering stage of making my own bow soon. After all where is the fun in buying when you can make it?

Middle Rio Grande Valley, NM / Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Thanks

Stacking is purely a function of the decreasing string angle as the bow is drawn. The longer the draw, the more obtuse the angle where the string meets the knock, the more stacking.

So, If you want a long draw, get a longer bow and you will experience less stacking. If you have a 30" draw, you will want a bow at least 68"ntn if not more, in my opinion. Recurves will stack less for a shorter bow so you can go a couple inches shorter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darodalaf View Post
    Stacking is purely a function of the decreasing string angle as the bow is drawn. The longer the draw, the more obtuse the angle where the string meets the knock, the more stacking.

So, If you want a long draw, get a longer bow and you will experience less stacking. If you have a 30" draw, you will want a bow at least 68"ntn if not more, in my opinion. Recurves will stack less for a shorter bow so you can go a couple inches shorter.
    string angle has nothing to do with stacking. Stacking happens because the wood (whatever the bow is made from) is only tillered to bend so far, pass that limit and it will start to stack.

GoodOlBoy

http://woodbows.com/collections/rough-and-ready-bows

get on their waiting list....

Richard

Thanks
    Thanked 8,106 Times in 1,821 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bushknife View Post
    I will look into the longer bows. Any stick bow makers that offer reasonably priced long long bows?
    KP Archery sells some very affordable longbows. http://stores.ebay.com/KP-Archery?_t...p2047675.l2563
    I current shoot solid fiberglass longbows but these KP bows are affordable enough that I may have to try one. I have a 31" draw and adjust my drawpoint to my bow.

Thanks

I have a 32" draw and finding a bow that fits me comfortably is hard to find, my current is a custom made 72" long bow. Any true long bow should be comfortable enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 910 Posts

try to find a dan quillan bamboo longhunter by far the best shooting bow i have points great and truly hits were you look or look into a used bear montana they are very nice bows for the money

Thanks

Default Stack and geometry are directly related

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    string angle has nothing to do with stacking. Stacking happens because the wood (whatever the bow is made from) is only tillered to bend so far, pass that limit and it will start to stack.
    I hate to disagree but string angle has everything to do with stack. Tillering is process of removing wood for a consistant and uniform bend. The bow will continue to draw smoothly past your desired tiller point, but simply increase the necessary force to pull another inch. The stack occurs because the angle becomes to obtuse. I have made many selfbows and am very familiar with tillering and stacking.

I am sensitive to stacking bows, as I am 6'6" with a 31" draw, so making a short bow that shoots comfortably for me can be a challenge. I typically stay with a 62-64" osage flat bow design.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to StickE For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For that price and length is keep an eye open on the forums for a Bear Montana. Quite a simple but very effective longbow. Lots of vids on YouTube for it.

Live from the stand...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 712 Posts

There are a lot of really good longbows that will shoot well at your draw length, but finding one at your price point might be tough. Good luck and let us know what you find!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast