Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Dog proof coon trap

rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,090 Times in 792 Posts

Interesting idea but I see a durability problem with it. It will not hold up for very long as a trapped raccoon will chew the heck out of that wood and will bend the soft wire and the rat trap trigger bar. May hold a coon but the rat trap spring is weak. It would need to be inspected for damage very carefully after each catch. Take a look at a Lil' Grizz Getter and see how that thing is built like a tank. It needs to be or it will not hold up on a trap line. If you just wanted to mess with making one then I understand that too! Nice job as far as that goes.

Unlike some of the other folks, I do hope you can use it. That is how you will learn what works and what does not.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GKiT For This Useful Post:

Luke 5:16 Supporter MysticFlight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 622 Posts

Great job! Let us know how it works.
    “The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir
    Illinois Slumdog #10
    Bushclass Basic 12/13 Required 5/5 Electives 0/5 Outings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Friartuck View Post
    That kind of trapping seems kinda cruel to me but to each their own. I imagine how I'd feel if I reached into my lunch box and a vice slammed onto my hand and kept me pinned to one spot overnight with a busted hand. I fully understand the idea of hunting and even the trapping, controlling the populations, and I fully support the right of hunters and trappers I just prefer a trap that kills quickly and efficiently. Normally I'd say "I hope that works for you" but in this case I can't really say that. Regardless, it's a good bit of kit for if the SHTF and coon meat is all that stands between my family and starvation.
    The dog proof traps do not "bust up the hand"

One of the advantages of a the dog proof traps is that the foot is contained within the tube, preventing any chewing of the foot. Sometimes, in a foothold trap, if the toes get numb and their is enough space under the jaws, a raccoon will chew on its toes/foot as the numb area just becomes part of the trap at that point. This behavior is unique to raccoons and is often misunderstood as the animal "chewing off his foot to escape" which is a pile of garbage. Anyway, the dog proof traps enclose the foot and thus prevent any of this kind of damage.

A better piece of kit for a SHTF situation is a commercially made trap that has been tested and proven but if you did not have one, this may be made to work, even if you had to check the trap every 15 minutes to prevent an escape.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GKiT For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Redesign the trigger now has a twist this thing is sensitive when it goes off I do agree that a coon would tear this thing up I do know if I do ever use it I would use it with some small bell's to signal a trapped coon

Last edited by castersquire; 12-01-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks

I have seen some Mole traps similar to this pattern the tunnel is dug up and the pipe is put in the tunnel with the trap up and a board put over the whole to keep it dark, you might figure out a trigger for that also.

Eric

Guide Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GKiT View Post
    The dog proof traps do not "bust up the hand"

One of the advantages of a the dog proof traps is that the foot is contained within the tube, preventing any chewing of the foot. Sometimes, in a foothold trap, if the toes get numb and their is enough space under the jaws, a raccoon will chew on its toes/foot as the numb area just becomes part of the trap at that point. This behavior is unique to raccoons and is often misunderstood as the animal "chewing off his foot to escape" which is a pile of garbage. Anyway, the dog proof traps enclose the foot and thus prevent any of this kind of damage.

A better piece of kit for a SHTF situation is a commercially made trap that has been tested and proven but if you did not have one, this may be made to work, even if you had to check the trap every 15 minutes to prevent an escape.
    I disagree, it does break the arm. I use these exclusively for coon on a farm I trap. I have broke the arms of cats, possums and coon. Maybe not a boar, but smaller coon for sure

Being cheap is one thing, but the OP's trap is the kind that gives trappers bad names. I get you are trying to "bushcrafty" but that is wrong, If i saw this trap out without a trap tag, i would report to DNR in a heart beat! Where is the stake chain?? What kind of stake will you use. You will never find the coon or the trap. There is more to trapping than the trap

Spend $12 and buy a duke dog proof. You probably bought the rest of your gear

If this offends you, sorry, your attempt offends me

Guide Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks

Btw, the first part of my post was about breaking arms, the second half was about the trap

Thanks

I have no experience with the Duke dog proof but have caught many, many hundreds in the Lil Grizz. A few will break the bones at the wrist but it has been a small percentage in my experience. Most break problems are due to entanglement after the catch, not from the trap itself.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GKiT For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks

Lil grizz are a little weaker in the spring I have several. I really like the stake on the Dukes

Tracker
    Thanks

No offense taken I did plan on putting a bolt in the back running a chain through it to put a stake line in and if you had read my post
    I will not be able to test ***this trap*** reason being leg hold trap's in my state are illegal to use.
    But if the shtf meaning economic collapse then I would use it no question's asked granted it wouldn't last long

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast