Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Otterbox Commuter phone case hard use report

75% Mountain Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,641 Times in 2,946 Posts

Default Otterbox Commuter phone case hard use report

I thought this might be helpful to those in the market for a good case for their phone in outdoors and other hard conditions. I just today after 16 months about of using it replaced my Otterbox Commuter. It has been through it all and earned it's rep with me over the time on my iphone 4s. I have dropped it on concrete, on rocks, on the wet ground, fell on rocks with it in my pocket, used it in the rain, dropped it in a river (no joke), left it on the wet ground at camp, stepped on it, just about any abuse you could imagine doing to a case and phone.

Here are the pics of what it looks like now, I think it held up very well. It only really started to deteriorate and the break in places within the last couple months or so. Until then it was almost as new with a few scratches and things. Anyway you can make your own call but I would certainly recommend them, their defender case is supposed to be even more robust.

Upper left corner of the hard shell broke off completely a month or so ago.

This a few weeks ago.

And this started a couple months ago and is now almost off completely.

Also here is the case I got to replace it. Speck Candyshell which is also a rubber inner and hard shell outer. I think I will like it, the only thing is I need to get port protectors as it doesn't have them built in like the Otterbox.

Anyway hope that helps someone, I realize there are a 1000 phone case reviews on the web but most don't put them through abuse some of us give them so thought I'd share.
    Tracker Pack # 18

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cellis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks fo the post. I'm testing the LifeProof case now. So far so good, but the ports are very hard to get to and only the factory dock cable can be used - no others fit.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SiliconTi For This Useful Post:

Supporter
    Thanks

Very cool thanks for the report. I took a look at both Lifeproof and the Griffin Survivor, since I use mine in the city so much they both seemed a bit bulky to keep in my pocket all day. Same with the Otterbox Defender. That's why I first settled on the Commuter and now the Candyshell. I would have gone with another commuter but knew the candyshells were a similar design and they had me at USA within a second. One thing with the candyshell is going to be those port protectors, I'll have to buy detachable ones. The headphone one I won't take out much at all but to charge and things I'll be taking the power one out a lot, I bet I lose the protector within a month or so and have to buy another one.
    Tracker Pack # 18

Staff Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,941 Times in 7,033 Posts

I use the otter defender on my galaxy s3. I have used otter defender on my last three phones. Worth it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leif For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Otter box customer service isn't bad either, just take a pic of the broken case, and email it to them.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ratamahatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a commuter on my iphone 5. I really like it, I pushed out the screen protector and use a Zag one though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tkdlaxer For This Useful Post:

Supporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkogKniv View Post
    I use the otter defender on my galaxy s3. I have used otter defender on my last three phones. Worth it.
    I think from my research if I wanted the most durable, less than full on waterproof etc, that is what I would go with. There are newer ones coming out but these guys have been around the block. The defender was being recommended a year and a half ago when I first researched them. It is just a bit big though for me so Commuter fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdlaxer View Post
    I have a commuter on my iphone 5. I really like it, I pushed out the screen protector and use a Zag one though.
    I forgot to mention that. When I switched cases today I still had the otterbox screen protector left and decided to change that out too using the one that came with their case back when I bought it. It stinks! I get to go buy another one tomorrow. I know how to put them on trust me, wash your hands, wipe down the face, dust free environment, but it had dirt on the inside that came from nowhere and got scratched on the outside just from putting it on, absolutely worthless and similar to what I would find in a dollar shop here. The best I have found is invisible shield by Zagg as you say. I had one on my last watch and they are almost permanent.
    Tracker Pack # 18

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ratamahatta View Post
    Otter box customer service isn't bad either, just take a pic of the broken case, and email it to them.
    I agree otterbox has outstanding customer service. They replaced my defender case twice after it had broken.
    I just purchased the lifeproof case, and like it so far, I have yet to build up the courage to dunk it in the water with my phone in it, but will try soon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dgir For This Useful Post:

Elder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,637 Times in 9,813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skogkniv View Post
    i use the otter defender on my galaxy s3. I have used otter defender on my last three phones. Worth it.
    qft +1
    Nie pogrywaj ze mna

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt. Mac For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,936 Times in 714 Posts

I went with the Lifeproof for my iPhone. The only problem I have with it, being completely sealed ( witch is a good thing ) is that it somewhat muffles the volume of the speakers. If you have it in you pocket, it gets hard to here the ringer. I'm glad phones have the option of vibration. Overall, excellent case and very tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast