Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duct Tape tales...

Thanks

Default Duct Tape tales...

How many times has this versatile material come in handy for you? To many to count most likely, so let's hear about the time when it really saved your hide, or just came in really handy.

I was working overseas awhile back and my team was in an operations room with alot going on. Somebody tripped on a phone line and it broke where it had been pinched by a computer desk. The only tool I had on hand was my SAK and three or so feet of duct tape is keep in my wallet wrapped around an old ID card. So I proceeded to splice the phone cord back together and used the duct tape as an insulator. We returned later to repair it properly. But it worked well enough temporarily for everyone to keep working.
    It may not be my wildest fix or use for it but it was probably the most important.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SwissArmyKnife For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

Hockey stick tape is the original Duct tape.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spearo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 882 Posts

While I was going through operation Iraqi Freedom, my knife sheath strarted to come apart, and duct tape was the only thing handy to fix it and has been there for close to a decade now.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,919 Times in 807 Posts

I had driven long way to pick a trailer that I was going to borrow and realized when I got there that I had the wrong size towball on. No problem because I had the correct size with... except for I did not have any large wrenches or channel locks.

I did have a roll of Gorrila brand duct tape however. I doubled over the duct tape so that I had a couple of long strips with both sides sticky. I then used it with a couple of short sections of 2x4 to make two strap wrenches to undo the tow ball and mount the correct one on

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alukban For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 326 Posts

I've used it to hold boots together a few times on back country trips as well as in the army. My best work was probably fixing my busted fishing pole in the middle of the Sierras. A couple twigs for support and a foot of duct tape kept me in trout the rest of the trip. Duct tape is truly one of nature's greatest treasures. LOL.
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS.
    Blade Scrounger #12
    Axe Mobster
    Machete Mafioso

Thanks

I had to build a duct tape canteen at DC's basic class. Leaked like a friggin' sieve..........

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified sherlockian100's Avatar
    Thanks

I had a radiator hose clamp fail on a stretch of road in Utah, I-70 I think, that goes 110 miles without any services. I was about midway through. My duct tape was able to keep my cooling system intact long enough to get to a shop. Once there, it held so well, I probably could have completed my trip. Thats one of many times I used it in a pinch.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 289 Posts

Have wrapped balls of feet and pinky toes prior to 15 mile rucks to avoid hotspots.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YTSESoldier For This Useful Post:

A Bonafide Tenderfoot Supporter bharen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,924 Times in 479 Posts

Duct taped a 'prisoner' to a tree once during a military exercise. He wasn't being cooperative. Don't worry, the tree wasn't harmed.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bharen For This Useful Post:

Tactical Hipster Supporter Sandcut's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,707 Times in 1,238 Posts

Nothing sexy here. I just use it for sheathes and blade guards for my carving tools.

Elder daughter has used it to make herself a quiver for her arrows aside from the more mundane items like book covers, purses, shoulder bags and totes.
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man." - Nordic proverb

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast