Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teepee plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 518 Posts

Default Teepee plans

Bought a 10x20 canvas tarp and I want to make a teepee. Has anyone made one, or have plans to make one? Thanks.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to postman For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,063 Posts

I grew up staying with friends and relatives with tipis. Traditional tipis can be warm, protect you well from the elements and leave the middle open for a fire to cook. This is the style I know very well.

Here is my suggestion if you are going with a traditional style:

If you are going to do this, you really must start with your poles. Getting the right poles is VERY important. Pine (lodgepole pine) is preferred and make sure you have between 1/4 to 1/3 the length of the pole sticking up above the top of your knot at the top. I have seen many people mess up their tipi that did not have long enough poles and they really moved a lot when the wind blew because of this. I don't know the physics of it, but it is important. Also, make sure you get proper length poles for your vent/flap. If they are too short, a wind will knock them over and you will be at the storm's mercy.

Grommet all your lacing holes and reinforce everything that might have stress such as places where you tie your lining to your poles, your ground skirt, etc. They will break even if you don't think they will.... They will..... Just saying.....

Do some research and find some good pictures of traditional constructions, that way you know what they are supposed to look like. I would then find someone from Wyoming, or some other high wind state, that has used them a lot in bad weather. The 4 wrap versus 3 wrap method on the poles, the digging in on your ground skirt, proper material and installation of your lining all are very important and are hard to teach via a written medium.

You might be able to find someone from rendezvous groups in your area? I can answer what I can via forum, but it is really hard if you are not standing there pointing and showing.

Now if you are doing a nontraditional tipi, I take all that back and say, "Good luck. I didn't even know other types existed until a few weeks ago."
    "I will stop the motor of the world." John Galt

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sledjockey For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Gumbi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 291 Posts

This guy does it! And using a tarp with the exact same dimensions you have! It isn't a genuine authentic teepee, but you won't have to do any cutting or sewing in order to put it up.

I thought it looked like fun, but I have not done it myself. Be sure to update this post and let us know how it goes!

Thanks

I have been looking in to making one myself here is a link that might help.

http://www.tipi.com/ourtipis.html

Measurements, materials to use etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,173 Times in 2,845 Posts

Pretty good little videos . Mainly find center, strike an arc from center to corner put in tarp clips equi distant around base . Cut off excess material . Make a tripod in one case , just use center pole in the other case .

Those tarp clips are pretty cool .
    " Don't take life too seriously , nobody gets out alive anyway "
    Sydney Harris

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riverjoe For This Useful Post:

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,901 Times in 4,151 Posts

Warren Miller has one in his book "Camping Out", page 157. Also has a verbal description, but that's all i know of right off the bat. It's available for download on this site, or you can find it online for free too.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

Guide Supporter Long John Tinfoil's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,308 Times in 988 Posts

IIRC, there's a plan in Ben Hunt's Indiancraft.

LJT

Camp Cook Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,516 Times in 696 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    Pretty good little videos .... just use center pole in the other case .

Those tarp clips are pretty cool .
    After I watched the videos, I made a small paper model, and rolled it into a cone with 60 degree sides, just to see what he was talking about.

The Sibley tent from the 1850s and '60s is cone-shaped with a single center pole and a ring at the top for a stovepipe to go through. There was a cone-shaped sheet metal "Sibley stove" that sat in the center of the tent to heat it. If your tipi is a non-traditional one, this might be an option.

In any case, good luck with your project, and I'll look forward to seeing the finished product!
    ...and I'll see you soon!
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/70TheProfessor?feature=mhee
    Illinois Slumdog #3

Thanks
    Thanked 11,173 Times in 2,845 Posts

Well I cut my 20 foot by 10 foot semi circle out of 4 mill plastic reinforced with shipping tape . Measured out 6 equdistant points on the base of the semi circle Found 6 saplings out in the woods dead ( Ash borers) . Began erecting it and it appears quite strong but it was windy and dark so tomorrow Ill continue and post some pics .

I wanted this for our winter campout this comeing weekend with some days a high of 11 degrees fahrenheit as a high .
    " Don't take life too seriously , nobody gets out alive anyway "
    Sydney Harris

Thanks
    Thanked 30,413 Times in 8,810 Posts

Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast