Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gregory Packs??

Thanks

Default Gregory Packs??

So I've been looking for a new pack for 2-5 day hikes. I recently found through work I get a killer discount on Gregory packs. Cool, however due to there cost I really haven't looked at them before. I'm looking for a light back +/- 50L. I'm 6'2" and looking to carry 30-40 lbs of gear. Less in the future. Do any of you have first hand experience with the below packs?

- z55 or z45
    - Savant 48 or 58

Any other Gregory input or experience would be great too.

Scout Supporter backwoodstrails's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 392 Posts

I recently picked up a Gregory Z65. After trying on about 6 other packs, I was surprised at how well it fit. This is my first try with Gregory. In the past it has been a Dana Design Terraplane X and a couple of Osprey packs. I was looking for something lightweight (not ultralight) for 2 to 5 days trips.

I had always heard Gregory packs were for the tall thin guys, however, it looks like their discrimination against us short fat guys has ended!
    “Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain
    "My Sister has Multiple Personality Disorder, But........She's Good People." - Backwoodstrails

3. The Following User Says Thank You to backwoodstrails For This Useful Post:

Tracker Supporter
    Thanks

I've always had very good luck with Gregory and feel they are very good packs, although heavier than I would prefer. I have the Savant 48 and use it as more of a day trip winter rucksack. It fits me well and is pretty stable and takes the extra winter stuff that I haul with no problem. I don't have a Z55 but it seems to have a good reputation with through hikers. Very simple suspension that can take more weight than they recommend but not comfortably. 40 pounds is pushing the limits (of comfort) in my opinion. I have a buddy who use one on his AT thru a few years ago and it worked well for him.

While there are lighter packs out there I always come back to Gregory and if you have found a good deal all the better!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jime For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Had a few, and at one time considered them the ultimate pack. There are others that are just as good now, but they still rock, in my opinion. I had the Denali (big - like 90 litres or something), and now I have the 65 l version. Can't remember the model name but it's a great pack. A bit big for most stuff I do now, but sure carries weight well.

I'll go take a look and tell you what model it is, though I doubt they make it any longer. I've had a few smaller packs from them over the years, and they have all been excellent. Can't go wrong.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmythejet For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

My go-to pack for weekend trips is a gregory z55. Its a great pack that carries it's load well if you stay under the 40 lbs mark. Any much more than that and the pack starts to show stress and breakage. So far I've had the zipper to the top compartment fail and the sternum strap break, both from normal-to-me use (i.e. bushcraft). It is not a bushcraft pack. If you plan just to hike and go from point a to point b and want a well-fitting lightweight and fairly affordable pack, then the z55 is good to go. If you want something a little more rugged, I would check out something else.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to peregrine2000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"I had always heard Gregory packs were for the tall thin guys, however, it looks like their discrimination against us short fat guys has ended!"

Awesome! I'm tall and thin! That's very funny.

Thanks for the quick input. I like simple (less weight/less to break) so the z45 and savants look good. However I like the z series breathable suspension more than the savants. Man, I got to go do some hands on comparison.

Mudd Flats, more than a location, it's a state of mind.
    Thanks

I have a Gregory Shasta, and have been on numerous outings with it. It fits me well, though it is a bit larger than what you are considering. Definitely a good winter pack. It has a lot of room for bulky winter items. I found mine on sale, previous years model on sale to make room for new year model, and paid $120 for it. I'm not a tall thin guy either, and this pack fit well, and handles 50lbs loads comfortably.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Beavershooter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 678 Posts

A friend of mine owns a Z55, he loves it, carries loads like a champ.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigFootSurvival For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 695 Posts

They are not the lightest packs out there, but they have great suspension (robust and comfortable) and are well made. I have a Z22 that I use as a daypack and I really like it. Highly recommended.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Roamer For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodstrails View Post
    I recently picked up a Gregory Z65. After trying on about 6 other packs, I was surprised at how well it fit. This is my first try with Gregory. In the past it has been a Dana Design Terraplane X and a couple of Osprey packs. I was looking for something lightweight (not ultralight) for 2 to 5 days trips.

I had always heard Gregory packs were for the tall thin guys, however, it looks like their discrimination against us short fat guys has ended!
    I have the Z65 and used it on a week long Sierra Nevada Mountain backpacking trip. It worked great! The load carried well and hip belt worked great.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wingman115 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast