Thread: Solar head light

Thanks

When you say headlamp, do you mean a smallish light that is strapped to your head or hat? I have a couple awesome solar lamps, but they are a little bigger and have a hook to attach to whatever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tripper Harrison For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

solio.com has got some good stuff I use the Solio Bolt all the time not only in the bush. The only thing I use in the bush that's modern tech is my GPS and I carry extra batteries for it but sometimes I get a signal on my smartphone but I don't use it much.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Bears For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I started laughing to myself when I read the title as I was thinking of someone with a headlamp in bright sunlight running it with a small solar panel on top of their head

Seriously, I would recommend getting a decent AA or AAA headlamp and purchasing a solar charger separately. Maybe like a Goal 10

Thanks

I have one of these Deluxe kits. Mine can charge any USB item it has adapters for all kinds of cell phones and wires. Works really well in AZ where we have plenty of sunlight but sadly I believe they are discontinued. I haven't used mine in a while so I think the batteries need to be replaced. Overall a really cool little kit it even has velcro on the back of the solar panel so you can stick it to your pack.

ONECOL.jpg

Scout Deceased
    Thanks

Default Headlight using solar-charged batteries

I have several modest solar battery chargers, but one of the most versatile can be obtained from REI for $24.95 plus shipping. The REI item number is 835209 and I know that model works well. It even has a meter showing the relative solar gain and estimated charging time for the battery type involved. The only caveat I would have for you is to have some long-life lithium batteries squirreled away if your solar batteries poop out without warning.