Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow Recommendations

Thanks

Default Crossbow Recommendations

Excuse me if I missed this in my Search(es) but can some one recommend a crossbow for deer hunting? I have used a Fred Bear Whitetail compound for years and I tore my rotator cuff (sp?). The surgeon won't gaurantee success / complete recovery and my ability to use a bow again. (I know too from my son's experience surgery doesn't keep it from tearing a second time. Yeah his did.) So I am thinking crossbow. I'm looking for a 50# draw and affordable. I know that's subjective so in the 4 to 600$ range.

Thanks for the input All will be appreciated.

reddz

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,939 Times in 716 Posts

Don't know much about a crossbow, but I can recommend that you do some shoulder excercise's that will strengthen the small muscle's that stabilize your shoulder. I have a torn rotator cuff on my right shoulder. I done the excercise's I found on YouTube, and I have not had any pain in my shoulder for some time now. You'll have to stay with it, but you will see a differance if you do. I would try to explain it, but it would be easier to watch it for yourself. Just google rotator cuff excercise's and you'll get several that you can do. Just start with light weight, maybe two and a half pounds and go from there. I shoot traditional bows, and I just couldn't stand the thought of not being able to shoot em. Give it a try, you might be surprised. Surgery is just a injury within itself!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 327 Posts

Barnett seems to have very good customer service.dependable equipment and very fast.

Thanks

I got my dad a Wicked Ridge warrior combo for under $300 - it is awesome! do look into that one

Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 1,821 Posts

Crossbows require quite a bit more draw weight than a comparable compound bow. 50 pounds is way too low for hunting, 150 would be a minimum. I own a Barnett Quad 300, great bow though replaced by the Quad 400 also a good value.

Tracker
    Thanks

Excalibur. Bullet proof, great warranty that you will probably never use and very very accurate.
    You can replace the string in under a minute with their stringer if you tear up the serving.
    And they are recurves.
    Shot a grouse with mine last week at 25 yards while walking a creek bottom.

Scout Supporter
    Thanks

Excalibur! My daughter killed her first deer at 8yrs old with a vixen. I couldnt let her shoot twice at the same bullseye without destroying arrows on a regular bases.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jge3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,232 Times in 1,387 Posts

I've been researching crossbows the last couple months as I intend to purchase one and practice with it before next year's deer season.
    Everything I've read about that's in your budget seems to recommend the Barnett Jackal combo or Wicked Ridge combo as until you double your money they're hard to beat.
    Or an Excalibur. Not quite as fast as the compounds in that price range but fully field serviceable and minimal parts means minimal breakage chance.
    I'm currently saving for an Excalibur.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

Tracker
    Thanks

Excalibur just came out with the Matrix and it will do an honest 380 fps with 350 grain arrows. And it's still a recurve.
    http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/cat...atrix_380_xtra
    I also have a Tenpoint GT-Mag and it is a very nice bow, but had I had a chance to handle the Excalibur first I would have purchased it.
    I like that ability to change strings easily in the field if needed and the recurves give you that.
    Last edited by lowkey; 12-24-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Scout
    Thanks

If you want the best new technology check out reverse draw by Scorpyd. It is on the high end of crossbows but the best and customer service is great. Made in USA by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast