Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best outdoor foot wear for plantar fasciitis?

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 490 Posts

I spent a day walking around Las Vegas in MC boots some years ago and woke up the next morning unable to put my feet on the ground. It took it almost a year to heal and that was doing the exerises the PT had me do religously. The one thing my PT told me was to get a Coke can, kick off my shoes under my desk, and roll the can with my feet. He said do it every chance I could. That was about 6 years ago and I have not suffered with PF since but I am still rolling that darn Coke can under my desk

Thanks

I like new balance walking shoes, the higher the number the better the shoe, look for 800 or 900 series, good fitting shoes with arch are part of the answer. One of the stretches my DR told me to do involved putting my heal on the ground and moving my toes in a manner that if a towel was on the floor it would bunch up under my foot. IE stretch the foot out then pull my toes along the floor towards me. I find that with proper fitting shoes I can do this one as I sit at a computer or stand. it helps a lot in the middle of the day at work.

As far as weight loss, I went on paleo last year and lost 20 pounds in a month. you can eat all the non-starchy vegetables you want, and all the meat you want. just no carbs. As I am relatively poor My meat choices were chicken hamburger and pork loin, all of which lack flavor, only reason I quit was I was ready to mug a two year old for a tootsie pop. but the weight has stayed off and I am about to do it again. one of the good snacks on the diet is pork rinds, use lots of spices, salsa, peppers oil and vinegar dressing etc to give yourself some flavor.

good luck

Eric

Thanks

Default Experiences

I've had this same affliction for sometime just my .2cents inserts didn't work it actually got so bad that I went to physical therapy. I've been in pt for a while and it has Helped greatly. I would deffinetly recommend this as a form of recovery

Scout
    Thanks

I really have to thank all of you for the replies. It has helped me with a number of things. I will start to tape my feet for the day, use my walking stick at work( I can intimidate the kids with it) and do the exercises. I do have something to roll under my feet.

I will confess that today I did two dumb things. I took a break at work and took a walk to set up a trail camera. I work next to a large wildlife management area open to hunting so I set up a trail camera. I was walking over a stone wall and slipped. I tried to gain tracton and overstretched my left heel. I felt the painful stretch over the curve of the heel. What was odd is that after a short time my heel felt " wet" . Hard to explain but that is the best way to explain it. I limped pegleg out of the woods and then instead of heading home to rest, I went walking err limping with my muzzleloader for an hour and setting up another trail camera.

psychological advantage Supporter mahaney's Avatar
    Wherever the Air Force sends me..... currently,California
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 691 Posts

I have PF and have gotten it to mostly calm down. Here is what I have found to help a lot..

1. Freeze a bottle of water and roll it under your foot when you can, this does 2 things 1. it will stretch out the muscle, 2. the cold will help ease discomfort
    2. Splint at night! It will keep the muscle from contracting at night and will loosen it up.
    3. Sounds weird, but the barefoot shoes helped a lot!

J
    If sense was common, everyone would have some.

Two is still two, one is still one....

Tracker Pack #too fife

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,933 Times in 604 Posts

I've had it this year pretty bad. I got a cortisone shot in July which helped a lot but I'm going to be needing another one soon. I had some custom orthotics made but I don't care for them. I prefer the Birko Balance Orthotics. I bought some Keen hiking shoes in September and retired the checkered Vans. I like the Keens a lot!
    Bushcraft is my yoga.

Guide
    Thanks

ive been using arrow moccasins for every day wear for over two years now with out a flare up of my plantir these have been soled with shoogoo and a extra outer sole of convayour belt to help with wear. first year i just had the shoo goo...i think my new pair ill be adding the shoo goop i saw in another post its barges rubber cement and sifted ground up rubber..figured id make my own with the belt sander and a shop vac to contain the grindings.

Scout
    Thanks

Default PF Pain

I wish I had read the aforementioned advice some 20 years ago. My Achilles tendon would contract at night into a knotty, contorted structure and my first 10 steps were very painful. Most of my relief came from planting my feet and leaning forward to stretch the Achilles tendon; sometimes I would hear the tendon "pop." I also placed my toes on a door or stair step and let my heel drop below the level of the toes (to stretch the Achilles tendon). I also tried taping and orthotics, but they didn't work. After about a month or more of stretching, my PF pain largely became a thing of the past.

The very best of luck!

Thanks

You certainly aren't alone with PF. I dealt with it as well as I could for several years. It would get worse and better with no real pattern that I could tell. I tried all of the stretches, insoles, arch supports, different shoes, sleeping splints...everything I could think of. The results varied but were not consistent.

Inserts helped some and Keen boots and sandals seemed to help as well. Overall the one thing that finally seemed to end the suffering was losing weight. I dropped about 70 lbs. and realized one day that I was no longer dealing with pain from PF. That has been over two years ago now and I have not had a single recurring episode.

All of the tricks and tips are great but I'm convinced that taking the weight off of my feet is what healed me.

Just my two cents.
    SDS

Scout
    Thanks

I have Rockport shoes for work and a pair of Vasque Sundowners and Merrill Moab Ventilators for hiking. I put Powerstep insoles in each and find them very comfortable.
    Regular stretching has also done a lot to prevent any further issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast