Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best outdoor foot wear for plantar fasciitis?

Thanks

http://www.heel-that-pain.com/heel_seats.phpBeen using these for the past year and haven't had to do any special exercises, taping, etc. YMMV.
    Last edited by 1Olddog; 12-29-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Tracker
    Thanks

After reading all of the above, I'm inclined to think these might be what you're looking for: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/new_p..._footwear.html I don't understand why people who are so interested in just the right outdoor gear, won't spend the money for good boots. Over the long haul, I'm convinced, Russells are cheaper than any of the brands so often mentioned here.

Thanks

Default A different take on Plantar Fasciitis

I had this really bad this last year and learned a few things that helped for me. YMMV. First, all three (Yes, THREE!) doctors I wound up seeing told me to never go barefoot, even at home. Walking about barefoot apparently increases the strain on the tendon. They also recommended that I buy a pair of sturdy boots to minimize flexing and to wear insoles. Contrary to the OP's experience, I was told and was able to confirm that flat shoes and things like Crocs, although comfortable at first, are the wrong thing to wear long term as they aggravate the condition. I was told to avoid flat shoes entirely. I bought a pair of Hi-Tec Altitude IV boots for $80 and wore them continuously for weeks with aftermarket insoles from REI. They allowed me to take walks again with far less pain afterward.

Also, it helps to stretch your calf muscles daily, and in really severe cases, to wear a splint in bed at night that keeps your foot upright and your tendons stretched. Other than that, time and Advil and trying to minimize further trauma to the tendon is the thing.

I wish you good luck in your recovery. I sure know how painful that condition can be.

GrandpaMike
    "Use it up, wear it out; make it do, or do without"

Elder
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,575 Times in 2,773 Posts

I feel much better now that I:

Lost weight

Got thin, flat, floppy shoes and boots, and

Wear them everywhere.

Now my feet are stronger all over and more used to taking a pounding in flat shoes. They may not be ideal for heavy backpacking, but for every day use and dayhikes they're fine.

If you buy into that horseshit that they teach you in Scouts and always wear 5lb boots to "protect your feet and ankles," your feet and ankles will never be strong enough and you will always hurt anyway.

PMZ

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trekon86 For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

as mentioned earlier the ''SOLE''insoles also done the trick for me. I purchased a pair from amazon & transfer them to whatever shoes i wear daily.

Tracker
    Thanks

i have gone to wearing slip on hush puppies for the last 6 months or so. most relief i have had in years. those russel trackers look good too but i havent moved on them yet. kinda pricy. cheers jim

Guide
    Thanks

I have only one word of advise >>>---- TAPE---->

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,848 Times in 1,923 Posts

I had to get two cortisone shots. First one did not work second one fine. That's the usual fix. Careful not to year it. Mine went away within a week or two.

Tracker
    Thanks

You need quality boots with a removable insole. Remove the insole and replace with an insole from a company such as Super Feet.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Tracker
    Thanks

You asked for boots, and the majority of posts have not referenced boots. I've noticed because I've been fighting PF for about 6 months, and had 3 shots(my doc won't give any more), use splints nightly and have tried several different insoles, shoes, and Dr. provided orthotics. I own a pair of Russell Moccasins (mentioned above), and although they are a great boot, they are not made for PF. I've read a lot of info on PF and on several outdoor/hunting sites, and my recommendation is boots from Lathrop and Sons. I will have a pair before next hunting season.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast