Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody heard of S.O.L.?

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 679 Posts

As most have already mentioned, one can build a better kit! My wife in her best intentions bought me the knife whistle, light combo as a stocking stuffer.
    I would not have wasted my money (would never tell her) It's neat concept and would be better than nothing but the functionality of any single component
    is kinda lame! The whistle isn't loud (better than no whistle) the knife is sharp and does lock but doesn't look very strong (again better than nothing) and the flashlight would be better than matches but most likely is useless past 12 inches. All of these items are items I carry every day!!! So I'm guessing it will go into a kit somewhere!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 275 Posts

I almost bought one of their two person survival blankets the other day but I remembered this thread and thought better on it. Still may as it is less than $3, but I'll simmer on that for a bit longer.

75% Mountain Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,875 Times in 2,986 Posts

SOL is a brand from AMK. I carry one of their survival blankets and like it quite a bit. Same size as a cheapo space blanket that will rip on the first use and much more durable. I beat mine up a bit in this video and it is still perfectly fine. I have seen on here at least one guy who slept in their bivy overnight and liked it. Can't speak for the kits and things they all seemed to cheesy and cheap for me yes.

Tracker Pack # 18

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cellis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 670 Posts

I'm with Cellis on this one. I think AMK is the originator and SOL is the name of a product line, but I'm not particularly fond of the SOL products - especially their pre-made kits. I do, however, like the AMK/SOL bivvy(s) and blankets.
    "I'm just a goat, who's halfway through eating itself..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post
    The sparker is halfway decent. One handed operation is neat.
    The compass does its job, but so does the one on my wristwatch, it's identical.
    The signal mirror is sheet metal and can distort the light.
    The knife/whistle/light is a cheap stainless cutting tool, I rolled tghe edge on mine making curls with River Birch.
    The cordage is the cheap 3 strand stuff you see in dollar stores.
    Tinder is good, although there isn't much in the kit.
    Silicone gasket is nice, but will also trap water inside the case. I wouldn't trust it for submergence.
    ABS goes brittle in the cold.
    Stailess wire is about 3 ft long. Again, not much there.
    Buck's tips for survival are good points, but vaugely relevant to every environment out there.
    All the reason you mention is the exact same reason I prefer to build my own kit - I can put in the quality and quanity of each item I want and my little Altoids kit never leaves my side.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 796 Posts

I agree that someone with the time and inclination can assemble a better "survival kit" on their own than most any storebought kit. But for people who are prone to buying pre-assembled kits (maybe the vast majority of consumers) the AMK/SOL kits seem better than most cheap kits. They were designed in consult with Doug Ritter, a noted survival consultant and knife designer. One of the kits includes the tiny PSK knife he designed, which is a pretty decent mini fixed blade.

http://www.dougritter.com/psp_index.htm

I have one of the AMK bivies and it's a decent product, useful as a compact warm-weather sleeping bag all by itself or a emergency shelter.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Roamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Don't know anything about the company or their products. But the name (S.O.L.) is likely a reference to the old military accronym which meant:

S**t Out of Luck

Thanks

Personally I'd pass on the kits. Not only can you make your own kit with better quality stuff, but it's much more fun thinking about what to put in it based on your needs and collecting all the bits and pieces.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 275 Posts

I admit, the biggest reason I wanted one was the cool factor. It was shiny and had lots of gizmos and I'm a bit of a sucker for that. Glad I didn't succumb to its allure. Thanks.

Banned Member Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 457 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by injun51 View Post
    You could make a much better kit with stuff laying around your house. I'd pass.
    Yup, make up your own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast