Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody heard of S.O.L.?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santaman2000 View Post
    Don't know anything about the company or their products. But the name (S.O.L.) is likely a reference to the old military accronym which meant:

S**t Out of Luck
    Yeah when I saw the name that is exactly what I thought. When my life depends on something I don't want to be SOL. I have already been there to many times and don't want go back. Next thing they will come with is an emergency ration called SOS.

Guide
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyak View Post
    I have the SOL bivy bag works awesome to keep warm in and /or slip over your sleep system!! Packs very very small.
    the bags are good - just wished they did a subdued version

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,097 Posts

I recall when Doug was being consulted for these, initially. For a pre assembled kit, they are decent. Yes, you can put together something better. But, for those people who but these, then throw them in their car, they aren't bad. I see no need for a fishing kit, but almost all small kits of any sort contain them. This brand is the only pre assembled one I've ever used though, and it wasn't a bad little kit

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer
    My blog: http://oldsoldiersadventures.blogspot.com/ Intermediate cert progression: 2 of 11 classes, 0 of 7 electives, 2 of 3 overnights, 5 of 10 outings.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    I recall when Doug was being consulted for these, initially. For a pre assembled kit, they are decent. Yes, you can put together something better. But, for those people who but these, then throw them in their car, they aren't bad. I see no need for a fishing kit, but almost all small kits of any sort contain them. This brand is the only pre assembled one I've ever used though, and it wasn't a bad little kit

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer
    Fishing kits can be used for more than just catching fish - they can also be used for catching small game and with a good needle the fishing line can be used to make repairs to clothing and tents.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lamewolf For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,097 Posts

Agreed-but, the quality of the kit is reflected in its primary use. A needle & thread takes up MUCH less space, and will function as an ad hoc fishing kit-but, primarily, can be used to sew, or for light lashings, etc. My personal experience, I use a needle & thread MUCH more out in the woods than a fishing kit-and, as I recall, this kit comes with a needle (I dont have it with me currently, but, I do seem to recall it coming with one). As to using the hooks as game hooks-I have seen this technique demonstrated, but havent seen it in use as of yet. With the exception of catching small birds, and possibly small animals, due to the frailty of the line, a fishing kit is really designed to fish-and can ADAPT to other situations, but, there are better tools for that.
    One thing a fishing kit DOES do, in a survival situation, is kill time, and present the illusion of you doing something to stay alive. But, its a rare instance that people expire due to lack of food-its usually the elements that kill them. Hence, I no longer pack any sort of fishing kit. I do take needle, thread, and wire-which, again, could be adapted for use as one-but these will get more use for their intended purpose, than a fishing kit will (and they pack smaller too). If I'm gonna fish, I'm gonna take a pole, and tackle .
    But, this is just my experience-I have nothing AGAINST fishing kits in survival kits-if I have extra room, I would stuff more tinder in there, rather than fishing tackle.
    That being said, I DO have a small hand fishing kit I keep in my jeep, and throw in my pocket occasionally. But, thats because I enjoy fishing. Sometimes, I just find a place I HAVE to try a line in. And, typically, I usually strike out. But, hey, thats what happens sometimes
    My blog: http://oldsoldiersadventures.blogspot.com/ Intermediate cert progression: 2 of 11 classes, 0 of 7 electives, 2 of 3 overnights, 5 of 10 outings.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to oldsoldier For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Ive only dealt with their escape bivy, and after using it for a while i love it, its small, light, and plenty big for just about anybody, and it has alot of different uses

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123