Thread: A new archer, with a very specific question

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,008 Posts

Default A new archer, with a very specific question

I just got into archery this fall, and hope to do some stump shooting this spring, and possibly some actual hunting next fall. I am looking into different quivers, and I keep seeing some people referring to a "rover style" quiver. I have tried googling this, and, all I am seeing is a back quiver. Is there a difference between a rover & a back quiver? Are they interchangeable terms? Whats the deal with rover quivers, if they are different (I suspect they are, I just cant seem to pin it down). Does anyone have a picture of themselves, or someone, who is using a rover quiver, so I can see how it looks?
    Thanks, sorry for the newb questions! I was looking at a trad leather back quiver, and keep coming across the rover being mentioned, but it still looks just like a back one
    My blog: http://oldsoldiersadventures.blogspot.com/ Intermediate cert progression: 2 of 11 classes, 0 of 7 electives, 2 of 3 overnights, 5 of 10 outings.

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the world of archery. In my area, we usually just call it a back quiver and most of us use one for "roving" or "stump shooting". Back quivers usually hold a lot of arrows and that can come in handy when you are out stump shooting. Arrows do get lost and broken.

I carry a back quiver for 3D shoots as well. Hunting I either go to a bow quiver or a catquiver. Hope this helps!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ranger For This Useful Post:

deathmetalbowyer

Hey bud, the "rover" and back quiver are the same thing. You can use the back quiver for everything. There are ways to make them silent for hunting and you can even get them made to carry a crap ton of item not only arrows.

Thanks

I would recommend a basket quiver, not near as hot in the summer time as a leather quiver laying on your back.

log shot.jpg
    Last edited by Squatch; 04-18-2013 at 10:08 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squatch For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

A catquiver is great for hunting as well. I have used one for many years. Its quite and you can stash your gear in it as well. But the standard back quiver would be better for 3D tournaments or stump shooting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brokenspokes; 04-22-2013 at 05:39 PM.