Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What pants do you wear?

Middle Rio Grande Valley, NM / Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Thanks

It is easy to overthink/overdo trousers.

If it is warm enough for shorts, I wear em (except in high bug season). I always have some (wicking) longjohns and rain shell if I get cold. This holds me in good shape until it gets down to the freezing mark.

If it is warm, but I need long pants (ticks or thorny brush), I wear nylon pants, some nylon or blend BDUs are easy to find and do the trick, or you can buy a technical equivalent from any of a number of outdoor clothes companies.

Below freezing I go for wool pants. Again backed up by longjohns and rain shell if necessary.

Basically, my number one criteria when I look at a piece of clothing to be worn outdoors is, "How quickly does it dry.' If the answer is "Pretty quickly." and it fits (my body and my pack), it is good.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darodalaf For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Smile Not quite versatacs... but not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rolandsilvajr View Post
    I'm up on the railrider Versatec mid weight too. A little pricey but they last forever. Just got a pair of basspro fleece lined jeans on sale for $29 too. Summertime. Versatec light pants. 511 has done great ones. I would look on eBay. Some great deals there.
    Railriders are awesome and I'd love to get a pair. I went with a cheaper, but still good second option: 5.11 TacLite Pro. With some kind of polypropalene long underwear these are easily 3.5 seasons. Not sure about just sitting around in them in the very cold. They have good pockets (including a front knife pocket for folders), a loop on the back, slots in the knees for pads (if needed), gusseted crotch, and place to put tie-offs on the bottom of the legs. All around, good pants. And at ~$50, can get 2 pair for the price of one Railriders Versatac.

Having said all this, I really want a pair of Railriders Versatac.

Thanks

I have aworn all of these and reccomend highly...
    Swedish cd pants... wish they still had the military version for sale these are super durable and will outlast anything you can buy from a department store. Plenty of room to move. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=884912

German molies... these are comfortable and feel really good. Cut a little tighter in the bum area than the swedes but more loose than your average jeans. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=163115

Dutch dungarees... on par with german cut but a little tougher.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=796642

I havent tried some of there emt stuff, but am looking forward to that come spring.

Can't vouch for much more than those, but they are all quality wear. As with everything from spg. Sizinge is always a problem. Go one step up in sizing. Everything eu seems a bit on the conservative side..

Tracker
    Thanks

Carhartt canvas double front & wool depending on the weather conditions and season but wear all with susppenders.

Thanks

Thumbs up

RR Extreme adventure pants for summer and Filson double tins for everything else.
    Both are excellent.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,747 Times in 1,042 Posts

I have a pair of Magellan Adventure. They are great here in the south but not sure how they would fair up north. Also like the 511 tactical pants.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking."
    Finis Mitchell,

Bushclass Intermediate...Lessons 2/11...Electives 1/7...Outings 0/10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,302 Times in 585 Posts

Bdu's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Spring/winter/fall: Tru-Spec 24-7 Series pants
    Summer: Shorts

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 635 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blaid View Post
    I have also been wearing jeans but just ordered my first pair of Duluth Firehose Work Pants. I will let you know how they are after they come in next week.
    I use their firehose fatigue pants vintage WWII look heavy as hell but I love the pockets and the durability

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified ripcurlksm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,485 Times in 1,276 Posts

For this winter, I'm wearing what I've got so my Burton snowboard pants which is lightly insulated with polyester and has a nylon shell with 4 large venting zippers that run from behind the calf to above the knee and outside quad on each leg. Under this I am wearing a merino wool base layer.

This setup has worked well for me my past few outings in the 20* range, and I would categorize it as very warm. I've been very comfortable and for the hike in its nice to have those vents to let heat escape. I figured why let my snowboard gear sit around in a closet and get used 3-5 times per year when I can use them every weekend.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast