7 36.84%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jan. 2013 Contest - Start a Fire, Win a Prize

75% Mountain Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,276 Times in 2,774 Posts

Default Jan. 2013 Contest - Start a Fire, Win a Prize

We are done! Thank you to all who entered or just enjoyed looking at the entries. This one was a lot of fun. Please help us out now by voting who you liked the best.

Summary
    This contest is to start a fire. Any fire at all to sustainable knee flames. The only catch is we want you to be as creative as possible. Try to think of something new or do something old in a creative way.

As something new maybe try one of those funky survival tricks we all have seen but probably haven't tried. Or some of the rarer primitive techniques such as rattan fire thong. Maybe recreate that fire tornado thing with fans. In the old but creative, something like 10x prep split wood fire would be (not) fun. Anything jcl-MD hasn't tried in the bow drill department probably another idea (good luck with that.) A twist on the hardwoodsman fires maybe? Dunno, that's what being creative is all about. Get out and have fun and start a fire.

The dates for the submissions are from, 1/1/2013 until 1/23/2013.

This like all of our contests will be decided by voting. I will change this thread to a poll with each user who entered's name at some point on my 24th (late in the US night.)

Rules
    Start a fire and be as creative as possible
    Knee high flames and a sustainable fire must be shown
    Submissions can be pictures or video (video is preferred)
    Submissions must be NEW and I will moderate that, hopefully we are all honest enough here though

So get out there and have some fun!!

Wait.. What did I forget?! The prize! Y'all would probably like to see that.. It will be a traditional flint and steel set. These strikers are awesome. And the flint is well flint. Comes in a little bag. I will also throw in a bit of the traditional tinder and a few of the "tsukebi" sulfur tipped sticks that were used to get the flame before matches were invented from my personal larger set. The little kits themselves will be around a $40 value in our store so not a bad prize I think.

I will try and take a picture of everything I put together as the prize within a week or so. I need to order the kit and everything stops for the entire week in Japan on New Years. There is all the info about this stuff you could ever need in this thread: Traditional Japanese Flint & Steel

OK FIRE GO!
    Last edited by cellis; 01-24-2013 at 02:14 AM.
    Tracker Pack # 18

Supporter
    Thanks

And here is my example. Split the wood with a small axe, caught the tinder with flint and steel, lit the tsukebi match like thing, then a candle, realized I didn't actually need the candle, lit the shavings with the tsukebi, put the prep on.

My striker is the same is in the prize it just has a removable wooden handle.

Also please if you have questions about things like buying the sets and the like ask in my vendor forum or through a pm. I put this in general discussion to see how it went but I could get close to violating vendor rules if I talk about selling things in this forum.
    Last edited by cellis; 01-01-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    Tracker Pack # 18

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cellis For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

Default my lousy attempt.

I picked up 2 very cheap fire steels from china. $5.39 for two with free shipping. I know what you're thinking, but I'm addicted to these things. I was very surprised at the gobs of molten material. I do not have any other rods that do this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150797017657...84.m1439.l2649 Or the seller is axeprice. It took 3 weeks.

So today I pulled our Christmas tree out of the living room. I had to clean up the debris left that the vacuum couldn't get. HMMMM nice thin pine branches and a few brown needles. That is tinder!!! So It's time to test my china ferro rods.

This isn't as creative as it should be but it is interesting how the smoke at the end dances and relights a few times. I did not add anything to the tinder bundle. Just what fell off the tree naturally while dragging it out the front door. Just so happens today there is a contest on fire lighting so Why not try to win...

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xj35s For This Useful Post:

Thanks

this will be fun =) i have a fire starting method that will turn some heads but i lost the tape it was on so next time i go out i'll film it again.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigKidBoyScout For This Useful Post:

Supporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xj35s View Post
    I picked up 2 very cheap fire steels from china. $5.39 for two with free shipping. I know what you're thinking, but I'm addicted to these things. I was very surprised at the gobs of molten material.
    I like those super soft ones too. I do the same thing where you scrape off a bit and then you get fireworks going on. That was cool at the end, I'm guessing it could have been resin maybe. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BigKidBoyScout View Post
    this will be fun =) i have a fire starting method that will turn some heads but i lost the tape it was on so next time i go out i'll film it again.
    Very cool I'm excited to see it! Submissions do have to be new anyway. It wouldn't be fun if people just posted something they did years ago and such. Also be sure and get the fire to knee high flames, I edited my original post to be a bit more clear on that.
    Last edited by cellis; 01-02-2013 at 07:13 AM.
    Tracker Pack # 18

Thanks

Most people haven't seen this method, I would be very surprised if someone has. I'll try and go out tomorrow after I drop off my son.

Supporter
    Thanks

Thought of a couple more in the car today just to give this a bump haha. Fatwood swedish candle and a fatwood one stick fire (I may try this one myself for fun soon), really anything fatwood is fun I got a huge bag of it in my trunk right now.
    Tracker Pack # 18

Thanks

Default Ice Cream Sunday Fire

Okay Cellis First off I used an obnoxious amount of flammable objects on this fire so if that disqualifies me that is completely fine.

1) cutting tools and 2X4

2) Shavings mostly made with the BG knife

3) Prep also from 2X4

4) The Sunday with sprinkles (Wind and waterproof Matches about 10) and whipped cream, (about 5-7 PJCBs)

5) Burned super quick, probably pine lit with a PJCB, and firesteel.
    Last edited by Kilroy.45; 01-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kilroy.45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

6) Fire with prep burning

Thanks for the chance.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kilroy.45 For This Useful Post:

Banned Member Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 457 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cellis View Post
    And here is my example. Split the wood with a small axe, caught the tinder with flint and steel, lit the tsukebi match like thing, then a candle, realized I didn't actually need the candle, lit the shavings with the tsukebi, put the prep on.

My striker is the same is in the prize it just has a removable wooden handle.

Also please if you have questions about things like buying the sets and the like ask in my vendor forum or through a pm. I put this in general discussion to see how it went but I could get close to violating vendor rules if I talk about selling things in this forum.
    Thanks for the video. I love the music too - who is it?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefs50 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast