Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On the hunt for chaga.

Scout
    Thanks

LMT66 - The answer to your question is "yes". The outer skin is very black in color while the interior can be orange, cinnamon or even have yellow streaks running through it.

Hope that helps. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 662 Posts

Default a little help please?

OK, as long as you brought up the subject of chaga I figured you guys would have the knowlege I seek! There aren't a ton of birches around my area, some black and only a few white. I have some fungus I found on the ground that does take and hold a spark. I have never found any on birch trees but have found the same stuff I now have on other trees.
    While what I have is barely acceptable as tinder, I wouldn't want to risk consuming a tea brewed from it. Can chaga be found on trees other than birch? Likelyhood? I really enjoy bringing something home from my jaunts into the woods (guess it's the hunter/gatherer in me) I have foraged ramps, jewel weed and a few other things from the area around me. But I REALLY want to learn how to find chaga as it is my "holy grail" of foraging! I'm sorry as I had not intended to hijack this thread only tap into the resources on it.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,876 Times in 1,926 Posts

Went upto the white mtns in nh recently found tons of horseshoe fungus but chaga eluded me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12