Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wool jackets and sweaters

Thanks

Default wool jackets and sweaters

What the "go to" places for wool clothing? I have googled and came up empty handed or found sites with ridiculous prices.

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Default wool

try military surplus websites and stores...the old wool sweaters the army issued back in the day are amazingly warm and i wish i had kept mine when i got out. also look at second hand stores...its a possibility.

Thanks

Filson,llbean,woolovers.ca,ebay,woolrich,of course it all depends in what kind of clothing and price you are searching for..

Tracker
    Thanks

www.swanndri.co.nz

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRW87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,044 Posts

Thrift shops, surplus and Sierra Trading Post are all good.

STP had Swandri last year for blowout prices.

Scout
    Thanks

Sierra Trading Post

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified nothinghead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 Times in 655 Posts

Goodwill for me.

If you don't mind paying new prices, I was just in the campmor store in Jersey and they have woolrich wool in stock too.

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,906 Times in 4,153 Posts

..or found sites with ridiculous prices.
    "Ridiculous?" Please be realistic. Wool is not synthetic. it grows on sheep, not trees, nor is it formed by machine into something that makes thread. it takes a year to grow, on an animal that needs care (unlike a pine tree that just grows on its own for 20 years). Shearing is still a hand-process... after that, yes, it gets mechanical.

if you want wearable (good quality, no itch) wool, it costs.

if you want cheap, stick to polypro fleece.

Good, Fast, Cheap. You can only pick two.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,594 Times in 584 Posts

Default How I get cheap woolens

I wear a lot of wool clothing (base layers, pants, shirts, sweaters, coats, hats, gloves and mittens) for snowshoeing, winter camping, and also for use in the shoulder seasons (late autumn & early spring).

However, I don't pay big bucks for my wool garments because I'm patient. There are two tricks to getting your woolens affordably:
    1) Go to secondhand and discount stores such as Good Will, Salvation Army and Value Village. Do it regularly and you will eventually find what you're looking for. One visit won't do it.
    2) Shop the 'end-of-season' sales. Stores that sell wool garments (such as Woolrich shirts and coats) often have terrific deals at the end of winter and in very early spring. You can often find a brand new garment for half or even less than half the price of a new one.

As Seeker rightly explained, wool is costly to produce. Just as importantly, there just is not a big market for wool clothing. People like clothing that is sleek, form-fitting, and make them look fashionable, athletic, and sexy. Wool clothes tend to look baggy and rustic, and so they don't appeal to as many people. Additionally, most people who buy winter garments today only need them for fair weather day trips that end with them in a warm chalet, vehicle or home. They don't need the insulating bulk, breathability, and fire-resistant qualities of wool that are so important when you're spending long days or nights in winter. Between the cost of raw wool and the much smaller market demand, manufacturers of wool garments can't exploit economies of scale to the same extent as makers of modern urban outdoor fashion clothing do.

The only way to get wool clothes cheaply is to be patient and get an article here and there from discount stores and end of season sales. If you're looking for them brand new right now, at this time of year, you're looking at the worst possible time of year and will pay the premium price. But in just a couple of months, you can buy the same garments for a fraction of the price.

Hope this helps,
    - Martin

Thanks

QFT, Martin.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast