Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: wool jackets and sweaters

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CodenameWalrus View Post
    QFT, Martin.
    Thanks CodenameWalrus. Had to Google 'QFT' though. My first thought was, "Dem's fightin' woids!"

Cheers,
    - Martin

Thanks

Even though good wool sweaters and jackets cost more, to me it is worth it because they tend to last a very long time. I have favorite wool sweaters that I have been wearing for 15 years and they are still going strong. It's kind of like buying tools; spend more and buy the high quality tool, or spend less on the "throw-away" tool, which you'll replace several times and end up spending more in the long run.

As others have already mentioned, look for the good brands used and save some $. Thrift stores, EBay, etc.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,925 Times in 711 Posts

Goodwill! The majority of my wool come from there.

Thanks

It also depends where you live.

It's hard to find wool in fl, not that common let alone cold. sometimes you get lucky

sometimes

5. The Following User Says Thank You to borego For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skbenton View Post
    What the "go to" places for wool clothing? I have googled and came up empty handed or found sites with ridiculous prices.
    what size and what do you consider ridiculous?

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,614 Times in 4,060 Posts

Guess i ought to contribute a source of wool (aside from Sheep!)

I got a nice Filson Cruiser off ebay for about $110 around 4 years ago. It's in great shape with hardly any wear. It's the gray one. The green ones go for more.

I also found 2x merino wool sweaters cheap. One is an LL Bean pullover. Lists for about $100, but i got it off the "scratch and dent" rack at one of their retail outlets for $5 because it had a small 'pull' and they couldn't sell it 'new'. The other is like one of the army wool sweaters, with the high collar and the 5 buttons. Mine only has 4 i think, and it is SOFT. LOVE it. Again, $5, this time at Goodwill.

I found a wool field shirt on ebay a couple years ago for about $25. indestructible, but itchy around the neck.

I also got a pair of the army wool cold weather pants off ebay this year, for about $25-30. Found those old figure-8 suspenders with the hook on them for $2 at a local surplus shop, and had a pair of the pants liners already.
    Last edited by Seeker; 01-02-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,144 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iraqvet0709 View Post
    try military surplus websites and stores...the old wool sweaters the army issued back in the day are amazingly warm and i wish i had kept mine when i got out. also look at second hand stores...its a possibility.
    +1 on this advice adding thrift stores, rummage sales, estate sales, and any other garage/yard sales you can catch. Wool garments in good shape are popular with more then just bushcrafters so good hunting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MiddleWolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks

skbenton,
    It occurs to me that showing might be more persuasive than just saying, when it comes to getting good winter clothes inexpensively, especially wool garments.

Last winter I made a series of instructional videos about winter camping for people who are interested in giving it a try, but not sure where to begin,
    I devoted a part of one of these videos to the very subject under discussion in this thread. Below is a video of me, camping in an igloo, showing and discussing what clothing I take with me winter camping, why I wear mostly wool, where I get it, and how much I paid for it.
    That portion of video starts at the 5:55 mark, so one needn't watch the whole video.

Hope this helps,
    -Martin

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PineMartyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,324 Times in 2,686 Posts

It also helps tremendously to watch your weight . Finding wool is difficult, finding 2X wool is difficult squared . That being said I just got a beautiful woolrich wool shirt off Ebay for about $40 including shipping . 2X its a little tight around the middle but ok .
    I was inspired by one of PineMartins videos where he built the igloo just wearing his wool shirt .

I also have been sewing a lot and repurpose wool coats into useful things . Just got a really nice Polish wool blanket for $15 including shipping . If I get a couple more when free shipping deal resurfaces I want to make a kapote .
    " Don't take life too seriously , nobody gets out alive anyway "
    Sydney Harris

14. The Following User Says Thank You to riverjoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    I was inspired by one of PineMartins videos where he built the igloo just wearing his wool shirt.
    Actually, riverjoe, in that part of the video (part 2, I think) I was not even wearing my wool shirt. I was down to my my ultra-thin (almost see-through) merino wool base-layer top....all so I wouldn't sweat at about -7 Celsius (19 Fahrenheit).

Hope this helps,
    - Martin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PineMartyn For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast