Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M65 Field Jacket?

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 454 Posts

Default M65 Field Jacket?

I always liked this style jacket and I'm thinking about getting one. I understand that they are no longer issued but does anyone have the newer ACU type?

Thanks,

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaliforniaCanuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,150 Times in 955 Posts

I just recently scored .. Finally .. a woodland Large/Long M-65, in new/used condition - with 2 liners .. Although, 'someone' had cut out the hood??

I 'Might' try dying it with black dye - leaving some of the cammo pattern showing through (if that makes sense?) .. that'd be better suited for what I am wanting.
    With luck, and enough waterproofing spray (and a hood from another jacket) I will hopefully have a good cooler weather jacket, in a style I always liked.

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,002 Times in 4,503 Posts

good job! they are getting scarce... I can still find them at a local surplus store, but the Large/Long is harder to find. Can't find an OD one at all. I've heard you can canvas-wax them pretty effectively, vs silicone spray, but it would be heavier.

As far as i know, they're not made in "ACU"... that family/style (ACU uniform) is all gortex and fleece.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

Scout
    Thanks

I haven't seen the ACU pattern. You might try Barre Army Navy. They usually have a broad selection . My brother picked up an olive drab Austrian Gortex M-65 from Sportsman Guide he is pleased with. Good luck.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified nothinghead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,456 Times in 672 Posts

Here is a source for the older ones:

http://www.vintagetrends.com/militar...FCoats&ST=M-65

Poke around, they have LOTS of other vintage clothing, both military and otherwise.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nothinghead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 261 Posts

The ACU pattern ones were issued for a few short years before they were fased out by the Gore-tex. I'd try and find an older one as the ACU ones have huge swathes of velcro on the sleeves criss-cross sewn on.
    Try a surplus store nearby an Army base, they always have countless Woodland Camo ones for sale.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoev For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaCanuck View Post
    I always liked this style jacket and I'm thinking about getting one. I understand that they are no longer issued but does anyone have the newer ACU type?

Thanks,
    What size?

Scout
    Thanks

M-65's are still all over the place (think it's still the worlds most "popular" cold weather jacket). Check you local Goodwill, Salvation Army, Surplus or fleabay). Sometimes you'll have to source the jacket separate from the liner, or get a new liner, but they are all over, if you know what to look for.

If you go to the army website and grab the NSN (for jacket and liner), it makes the google-fu/wiki-fu search a little easier.
    The NSN is different for each size/cut, so pay attention to the last 4 digits). Tru-Spec and Proper also make "civilian equivalents" that work if you can't find surplus in acceptable condition.

I just picked a a mint M65 (OD) this weekend (pretty sure it's never been worn) at the Goodwill for $11.17, and found the liner (NIB) at a Surplus store for $9.99 ..... and I scored a jacket with liner off of fleabay on Sunday (also OD, used) for $7.50

If your looking for something newer, Google ECWCS jackets .... the Gen 2's are extremely discounted right now that the Gen 3 stuff is on the civilian market.

I'm not sure of your local situation, but down here at the surplus stores, you have to dig through piles of the ACU & desert stuff to find the old OD and Woodland camo stuff.

Hope that helps some.
    Last edited by acara; 01-02-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 Times in 494 Posts

I didn't even know that one made it to ACU

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Joezilla For This Useful Post:

Scout Supporter
    Thanks

Default M1943, perhaps?

This is not a low-price suggestion - but you might wanna consider a place in Kentucky called "At the Front". They make repro WW II clothing, including what I think is the precursor to the M65 - the M1943 (maybe M1941?) field jacket. Like the M65, but with button-front, vice zip front. Hood is NOT built into the collar, but comes as an a la carte add-on. I bought one a couple years ago, and I am happy with it. Pricey, but available and very well made.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast