Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pooping in the woods: natural toilet paper

Thanks

Default Pooping in the woods: natural toilet paper

Anyone else here have experience using natural materials as toilet paper?

I used to use toilet paper but hated the idea of carrying out my soiled tp in my pack. So I started using natural toilet paper on my backpacking trips. It requires that you manipulate a few things in the environment, but I think overall it's much more environmentally friendly, since you aren't using something manufactured at a factory somewhere.

I like using smooth, flat rocks most of the time, though i've used leaves and spruce branches (though you gotta be careful with those)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,035 Times in 1,817 Posts

Don't ever use sugar cane leaves.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ahnkochee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 345 Posts

Default More than I care to mention...

I once found myself on a barren mountain top with the only vegetation being inches high brambles, low growth like common juniper and blackberry (Empetrum spp), and a most pressing need.
    The Arctic Hare and Rock Ptarmigan looked on with humour as the silly human dragged his backside, crab-walk style, across the rough foliage and broken quartzite.
    I remember thinking how soft that Hare's fur would be...
    Since then I've stuck with 40 grit sandpaper - much smoother.

Seriously, I will use leaves, stone, bark when available (with careful selection), but to me TP might just be one of the most difficult modern conveniences to give up.
    Then there's my brother, who always comes home from a round of Golf wearing only one sock...

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Papa Tac For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

I'll stick to toilet paper...just burn it seperately if you don't wanna bury it or take it out with you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Elder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,408 Times in 9,583 Posts

I just scoot around on the ground with my dog Denver
    Nie pogrywaj ze mna

Certified Nut Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,055 Times in 1,654 Posts

I can tell you one thing not to try. On a recent 3 day challenge we only had a pot, a piece of plastic, and a blade. I did fine (with my choices of material)until the last day. I was right by a palm tree and that furry stuff on it looked good to go. I spent the last day feeling like I had stuffed a box of shredded wheat where the sun don't shine.
    Suicidal lizards and barefoot worms.
    btw i got chiggers on my butt.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to madmax For This Useful Post:

Modern Day Kill Captain Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,029 Times in 5,701 Posts
    Items for Sale

Mullien leaves work great and feels better then most toilet paper. When your on the trail grab it when you see it and keep it in your pockets or pack cause it seems when you need it you cant find it
    "The coward believes he will live forever If he holds back in the battle, But in old age he shall have no peace Though spears have spared his limbs ." - Havamal

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kerri For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

Spanish moss works but here in Florida you have to get it hot or just to a boil in water first because of red bugs/chigers. I learned the hard way, and the ammonia bath was no fun at all.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Two Bears For This Useful Post:

Camp Cook Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,409 Times in 663 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kerri View Post
    Mullien leaves work great and feels better then most toilet paper. When your on the trail grab it when you see it and keep it in your pockets or pack cause it seems when you need it you cant find it
    When I was only 4 or 5 years old, I'd walk with my dad down through the woods to find the old cows and drive them up to the barn to milk. On one such occasion, I heard the "call of nature." and I was introduced to the mullein leaf! I have used them many times since, but be careful: they're just as soft, but definitely not as strong as Charmin.

Another standard of days gone by was the corn cob. After corn harvest, there are thousands of them lying in the field, just going to waste. Depending on corn variety, the cobs can be red or white. The well-stocked privy had both: red for rough work, and the softer, white ones for finishing up.
    ...and I'll see you soon!
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/70TheProfessor?feature=mhee
    Illinois Slumdog #3

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
    When I was only 4 or 5 years old, I'd walk with my dad down through the woods to find the old cows and drive them up to the barn to milk. On one such occasion, I heard the "call of nature." and I was introduced to the mullein leaf! I have used them many times since, but be careful: they're just as soft, but definitely not as strong as Charmin.

Another standard of days gone by was the corn cob. After corn harvest, there are thousands of them lying in the field, just going to waste. Depending on corn variety, the cobs can be red or white. The well-stocked privy had both: red for rough work, and the softer, white ones for finishing up.

My pops always said that first you used a red cob, then you used a white cob to see if you needed to use another red one!

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Blaker55 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast