Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: MSS (Military Sleeping System) Review

Tracker
    Thanks

The only piece to the system I don't have is the bivy sack(I know, get off my ass and get one, I know). Loved the bags since my dad handed them to me in 2003.

For those interested I'm a barrel-chested 6'2" 300lbs. The black is kinda snug and the green a little less so. Being a side sleeper doesn't help either.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigrobbierob For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Grizzix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,647 Times in 458 Posts

What is the weight on this system(broken down by piece if possible) compared to the weight of the old intermediate bag which I have?

Grizz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grizzix For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Finally got mine and I have to say, I love it! I would prefer if they had pulled some of the insulation out the back bag and put a tad more in the green one. The green bag is pretty thin. Not too big of a deal though because its never too cold around here anyway. I don't intend in carrying the black bag anytime soon as it weighs way too much with the 3rd bag in there. I'm sure with a fleece liner in the inside of the patrol bag it'll do just fine.

This thing doesn't pack up too small but if you feel you could get away with just the system and a tarp (or something small) it'd do just fine. I don't think i could justify carrying this colossal and a hammock. Or this and a tent. Just my two cents.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Merc. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 348 Posts

I have had mine for years and love it. I purchased a spare. Yes it is big but i am rather fond of it. If i did more winter backpacking then im sure i would spend the $$$$ and get one lighter. I put mine in the comoression sack in a wp bag attached to bottom of my pack.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to captainamer For This Useful Post:

Staff Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 44,872 Times in 6,875 Posts

Well my other two pieces to this system came in yesterday. Both are in great shape, but are missing a couple snaps.

Does anyone know where to get them? They are stackable snaps, and I have never seen them before.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Leif For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 348 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkogKniv View Post
    Well my other two pieces to this system came in yesterday. Both are in great shape, but are missing a couple snaps.

Does anyone know where to get them? They are stackable snaps, and I have never seen them before.
    I asked my local surplus to look for these for me just last week. I haven't been back to check up, but if I find some, I'll buy a bunch.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boroffski For This Useful Post:

Staff Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 44,872 Times in 6,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Boroffski View Post
    I asked my local surplus to look for these for me just last week. I haven't been back to check up, but if I find some, I'll buy a bunch.
    Let us know.

Thanks

Love using mine with my hammock. Use the feet area as a foot box and lay it over me like a blanket and use my under quilt for bottom warmth.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbecampin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok so let me get this right the only thing I have found (and I have done a lot of searching on the net for this lately) is that it is a heavy and bulky system. However that is for the entire system all packed out.

Typical use would only be parts of the system, unless you where in dead of winter (location dependent). So for the price this seems like an excellent three season sleep system and other then the bulk its a good 4 season sleep system.

So if you plan on using this mostly in the fall, spring, summer and a little winter this would work just fine.

Be cautious if you are over 250lbs in weight and over 6'2 in height. This is a mummy bag so if you haven't used one before you may need to adjust your sleep style with a bag, as in roll the bag with you to sleep on the side.

Does that sum it up??? Please correct me if I am wrong.

From what I have gathered on this forum and through out the internet you can not beat the value for this and it is especially good if you are looking to get your foot in the door in 4 season backpacking...

I'm thinking about getting one of these and it seems like a good piece of kit.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P. Hills For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

im 230lbs and 6'2. i have the regular size one, and while i wish it was slightly longer, i still love it.

how do you guys store yours?? iv been leaving it in the compression sack on my pack, but feel that may be detrimental to the insulations loft.

ideas?

thanks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 12G Slug For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast