Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt for a Recurve

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Hunt for a Recurve

So i know that this question has been done to death but I genuinely would like some knowledge from someone with a larger amount of experience than I. I have narrowed what I want down to 2 bows. Either the Sammick Sage or the PSE coyote. I need a hard use take-down that i can pack in. I really like the aluminum riser on the coyote but the sage's price tag and reviews seem to speak bounds. Between the two what would y'all do? I can get the PSE for $219 Locally fwiw.
    Thanks
    -Z

Scout Supporter
    Thanks

I own a bear hunter take down 45# and a sammick sage 55# and the sage seems to shoot just as good or better (I shoot off the shelf and it seems to be more centered on the sage) and it cost waaaaaay less. I liked it so much my dad got one and my cousin bought one. I plan to buy another for my wife. Cant go wrong with the sammick imo.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r34ryan For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r34ryan View Post
    I own a bear hunter take down 45# and a sammick sage 55# and the sage seems to shoot just as good or better (I shoot off the shelf and it seems to be more centered on the sage) and it cost waaaaaay less. I liked it so much my dad got one and my cousin bought one. I plan to buy another for my wife. Cant go wrong with the sammick imo.
    That seems to be the general consensus. Are they really as smooth as everyone says?

Scout
    Thanks

You may want to look at some of the bows from Greatree Archery. I purchased one for my youngest daughter and one for a friend for Christmas and they are very nice. I bought them from Andover Archery and they were very helpful with determining the correct size, pull etc based on the information I was able to give them over the phone and they had them in my hands 2 days later and included nocking points, rest and stringer with the bows.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jr416de View Post
    You may want to look at some of the bows from Greatree Archery. I purchased one for my youngest daughter and one for a friend for Christmas and they are very nice. I bought them from Andover Archery and they were very helpful with determining the correct size, pull etc based on the information I was able to give them over the phone and they had them in my hands 2 days later and included nocking points, rest and stringer with the bows.
    Ill look into those as well. thank you.

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zesr88 View Post
    That seems to be the general consensus. Are they really as smooth as everyone says?
    Yes. I put moleskin in the limb pockets and made bowhushes and hushpuppies for the fastflight string that I replaced the original string with. This may all sound like jargon, but it all took about 30 min. to do. That bow shoots smooth and silent.

Tracker
    Thanks

I bought a 55# Sage last year after many years with a compound. I really dont have anything to compare it with but I sure like it. When I was doing some research before buying it I never saw a bad review. I may upgrade to a fast flight string this year as I've read it really makes a difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jr416de View Post
    Dido on the Greatree. I bought a 45# Greatree Goshawk takedown from Andover Archery. They put an Angel string on it for me, set it up with rest and nock points and even included a well made stringer. Their support is excellent and they inspect their bows closely before sending them out. Greatree makes several bows for PSE.

The bow is really fast, quiet and accurate. I bought a set of 35# limbs for it for small game hunting and love the versitility. Now I face a delema everytime I head for the woods... recurve or compound?

I'm sure there's better built and maybe even more durable bows out there. I couldn't spend $400 - $600 for a recurve, but I bought the bow, setup, Angel String and carry bag for under $200. I'm real happy with that deal.

Tracker
    Thanks

I think that I'm going to end up going with the 45/50# Sage.Thanks for the input guys.Now I just need to figure out the arrow end of things...

Tracker
    Thanks

The sage will serve you well, just pick up a fast flight string as soon as possible. The factory string is the only weakness on that bow IMHO. As for arrows stick with carbons for now. If you plan on hunting large game, I would suggest the gold tip expedition hunters in a 5575 spine with a 200 grain point. I've been using them for the last three years with my #50 sage and they have never let me down (I've let them down, but that's not the point). If just target shooting you can get away with something lighter.

If you have access to a local shop, just go in and get fitted for arrows. They should be able to help dial it in with point weights and spine flex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast