Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunt for a Recurve

Thanks

My son's 45 lb Sage shoots Gold Tip traditional's 3555 with 125 grain tips really well. His draw is around 27.5" this week (seems like he grows an inch a week right now).

Thanks

Default lOVE MY SAGE

I recently bought a sage and i am also new to archery, mine is 65 lbs @ 28 inches. Like you posted i also tried to do all my homework before getting the sage and also found no bad reviews at all, if you get one, i dont think you will be dissapointed. I have been told that if your lookng for a bow for stalking,hunting instinct shooting its great.fantastic bow for the money , imo thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,514 Times in 779 Posts

Seen more than a few reports of the Coyotes Limbs failing and also problems with the tiller on them.

I think for the money you get a better bow with the Sage. The wood riser should hold up fine. I had a low end Hoyt 3pcs recurve for years that was similar to the sage and other entry level 3pcs bows. Would just toss it in the back of the Jeep, beat through brush with it, just wasn't very kind to it in general. The riser held up fine, ended up twisting the limbs using my legs to string it instead of a stringer and that lead to its demise.

If your after a metal riser the Hoyt Dorado is a decent bow, but twice the price of what your looking at now. With the Hoyt though the limbs still are not any thing spectacular and your paying for the machined riser and name. Plus for the price of the Hoyt your getting into custom prices and that would really get you a nice shooter, but would say start with the Sage and see if you like it and get an idea what you might want out of a custom. Good luck with what ever bow you choose.

Tracker
    Thanks

Yea the Sage is the way to go. That is the route i plan on going. Thanks for all the input. Now I have my eyes on the hunt for a reflex crossbow....

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

For the money I don't think you can beat the Sage. If you are new to recurve shooting, I would just recommended starting with a set of light limbs for practice and perfecting your technique. These will allow you to shoot alot more than with heavier hunting weight limbs.

Scout
    Thanks

I've shoot trad gear exclusively now and have shot Samicks. They are great starter or intermediate bows. The guys on some on the trad archery forums I frequent speak very highly of Samicks. LL Bean is now offering a Traditional Archery Kit - Samick Reg Stag bow, Gold Tip arrows, glove, arm guard, sleway quiver, stringer all for about $375. It's a really good deal and Bean has an unconditional 100% guarantee.

Another bow you should check out if you want an aluminum riser is a Quinn Stallion bow. It's a takedown as well. Guys that shoot these LOVE them. Nothing fancy, but a real work horse. I've always wanted to get one. The riser is tapped for a quiver, sight and plunger. Guys rave about this bow being a great shooter. Go with a 45# at 28" 60" amo. Use a Bear Weather Rest and you got a great shooter. I believe they run $250 new. Could be a little hard to find but definitely worth looking into.

Say away from the PSE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12