Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Need new boots.

Thanks

I was just searching for a new pair of boots. I wanted American made too and our budgets were about the same. I could not find anything. I got a pair of irish setters, made by red wing in china. They are actually really comfortable, but after an hour or so of up and down hills, the right boot rubbed the back of my ankle raw. I dont know what the problem is. Probably just need to get more broken in.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,876 Times in 1,926 Posts

I have the cabelas guide boots. I think they are guaranteed for life. Great boots

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tleek View Post
    I was just searching for a new pair of boots. I wanted American made too and our budgets were about the same. I could not find anything. I got a pair of irish setters, made by red wing in china. They are actually really comfortable, but after an hour or so of up and down hills, the right boot rubbed the back of my ankle raw. I dont know what the problem is. Probably just need to get more broken in.
    Duct tape for any hot spots.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JRW87 For This Useful Post:

Exy

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tleek View Post
    The Chippewa's I bought are working great so far. Very Cindy and with a few coats of beeswax they are functionally water proof. No hotspots or blisters so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,382 Times in 443 Posts

I just went through this and ended up reuniting with a old favorite.

I have worn out three pairs of Asolo's. I'm on my fourth pair (520's) in about 11 years. My problem is that every time I buy some, they seem to be heavier and more expensive than the last time. I wanted full leather, gore tex, and have just bought whatever Asolo had that fit the bill. They are one of two types of boots I have had that required no breaking in whatsoever. My Asolo's have been comfortable from day one. But - in my opinion the soles wear out very fast for a boot of this price. All of the old pairs in my closet have holes worn through the soles. (wore them every day, not just for woods time). And the 520's just seem to weigh a ton.

I have recently been making trips to for work to Dubai, and the thought of wearing those heavy boots in the sand made me rethink things. I rummaged around in the closet and found an old pair of Altama jungle boots. I wore these when I was active duty USMC in the 90's. They also wore out a little faster than the issue boots (softer soles), but were much more comfortable and less than half the price. Back then I was paying $39 a pair.

I started bringing the jungle boots to Dubai, and have been doing a lot of hiking out here (mostly mountains in Oman, and a little desert). They have performed great for me. The soles are not as stiff as the Asolo's, and that is a slight disadvatage in sharp rocks and mountain travel, but they are stiff enough and sooo much lighter and cooler. I have an old pair of goretex socks at home that I may add when I get back to Georgia for crossing small creeks in Cohutta. But for now, the $39 jungle boots are on my feet and the $270 Asolos are in the closet. At this price, if they wear out quickly, I'll just buy some more. In fact, I'll probably buy 2-3 pair. By the way, the other boot that I never had to break in - Altama Jungle Boots.

Everybody's feet are different. I couldn't stand Danners, but know guys that love them. I haven't tried the Redwings boots, but hear good things. What I have figured out is that more money doesn't equal better boot. I can afford whatever I want to put on my feet. Right now its cheap jungle boots because they are outperforming my formerly favorite brand.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 3,532 Posts
    Items for Sale

I am in desperate need for a new year round boot,

but after reading this thread.. And seeing the prices.. I think I'm going to go with a pair of timberlands.

I would love to buy USA made, but its just too pricey from the looks of it.

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exy View Post
    I am in desperate need for a new year round boot,

but after reading this thread.. And seeing the prices.. I think I'm going to go with a pair of timberlands.

I would love to buy USA made, but its just too pricey from the looks of it.
    My Chippewa's are doing great and they weren't too bad. Paid 175 from cabelas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atkins72 For This Useful Post:

Exy

Thanks

I really like the Chippewas I wear. I haven't tried these, but they look like they'd fit the bill too, for anyone looking for a full grain, USA-made, lug-soled boot.
    http://workboots.com/mens-wolverine-...FdSLPAodQ1QADw

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 3,532 Posts
    Items for Sale

I just found this website with a wide variety of boots with good prices, free shipping, and a good return policy:

www.discountedboots.com

I might order from here unless someone knows a better place?

I got to say, I'm leaning towards Chippewa , looks like they have the best looking boots made in USA for best prices.
    Last edited by Exy; 02-01-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,382 Times in 443 Posts

OK,

Time for full disclosure.

Last week I posted in this thread about how my old jungle boots were great etc ....

Friday I went on a hike on the UAE/Omani border.

I went here:

2013-02-03 069.jpg

up this:
    2013-02-03 070.jpg

And by the time we reached the top my boots looked like this:

2013-02-03 086.jpg
    2013-02-03 084.jpg

I you are paying attention you will notice that one pic is the left boot, and one is the right boot.
    I think the lesson is that boots will deteriorate sitting in a closet for years on end. They were fine at the beginning of the hike, and make a harder one last week. They have been out of storage for about a month, after sitting in the back of the closet for 14-15 years.

Been carrying that hank of parchute cord for years and really considered removing it before this hike. Glad I didn't.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast