Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple instant bear bagger

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Bluegill's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Simple instant bear bagger

After spending too much time running around trying to bag my pack on cold nights, I have found a simple setup that attaches to the outside of my ALICE pack. It is just forty feet of paracord with a loop at each end attached to a heavy duty carbiner. So far, in the yard, it has been pretty easy to lob the carbiner over a limb and then clip it on my pack. Hopefully, it will work in the bush as well. No grizzlies or super savvy bears where I hang out, so this might be all I need.

2013-01-06_17-29-03_827.jpg

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bluegill For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's a simple, time saving idea. The best ones always are! Thanks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tcc3 For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

What is a bear bagger?

I tried to google it, but I came up with motorcycles..

Thanks

I suppose it is not really a word now that I think about it. It is just something that you use to get your food or pack tied up high in a tree before going to bed when there are bears around who might sneak up and take it while you are asleep. There are some pretty elaborate systems in places like Shennandoa where bears are very used to humans and have learned how to raid their food and pull it out of the trees. Some people try to make elaborate rope hangers, while sometimes all you need is to pull the pack over a branch eight feet off the ground. Where I camp there are black bears, but they are not all that used to people, so all I usually do is pull my pack about ten feet up and tie the other end to a nearby tree. The problem is, it is late at night when I am doing this, and I always end up looking for a stick, tying it to my cord, and trying to heave the stick over a branch and then knot it to my (and a friend's ) pack. It always is more of a hassle than I think it is going to be. Hopefully this will save me a step.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluegill For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Have you ever looked into using an Ursack? Essentially it's nothing more than a kevlar bag that animals can't chew through. I've been using them in NYS (both Catskills and Adirondacks where bear canisters aren't required) and haven't had any issues yet. If you tie them properly to a tree, animals shouldn't be able to walk off with them. While food may be crunched by an animal trying to rip them off the tree, you won't loose anything (at least you shouldn't). The company has a website where they have video of a bear trying to get one of their bags. You might want to check it out. The link is: http://www.ursack.com/

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snapper For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I got hundreds of miles of commo wire into trees while in the Army using a canteen. We tied the wire to a canteen and chucked it. The weight of the canteen kept it from hanging up on a branch and getting stuck in the tree.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joe Willson For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

For what it's worth, I wouldn't use anything as my weight that I'd be afraid to lose. I've seen folks use their water bottles for weight and then gotten them stuck in a fork or branch. While it doesn't happen all that often, I know of at least one case where it did. That person now puts a rock in a zip-loc bag so if the rope/rock gets stuck, they can pull down and (hopefully) rip the bag so they can at least get their rope back. I've also seen folks who haven't tossed a bear bag much actually turn the place into a hard hat area since their aim isn't all that good. You'd be surprised at how far (and fast) a weight can bounce back off of a tree. It's because of all this that I finally turned to using the Ursack. Just my experience. Take it for what it's worth...

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

13. The Following User Says Thank You to snapper For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 1,351 Posts

Funny I run across this, as there was some discussion about these around a campfire last weekend. I carry an A+ slingshot, pretty much whenever I go on a walk in the woods (I'm a giant kid ). Someone asked if that could be used to launch a small rock, tied to 550 cord, over a branch. Honestly, I've been carrying a slingshot for a year-and this thought never ONCE occurred to me. So, yeah, I will be trying that method out soon enough!!! I dont know if the weight of the 550 cord would be too much for the projectile, but, with the primary goal of only shooting maybe 20' in the air, I SHOULD be ok. I will give it a shot soon, and report back. Kind of puts a little fun into hanging a bear bag
    My blog: http://oldsoldiersadventures.blogspot.com/ Intermediate cert progression: 2 of 11 classes, 0 of 7 electives, 2 of 3 overnights, 5 of 10 outings.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldsoldier For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You could also tie about 20' to 30' of masons twine to a fishing sinker. Shoot the sinker, tied to the lighter line, over the limb then use that to pull your 550 cord into place.

---------------------------
    Illinois Slumdog#6

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe Willson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That Ursak does look really cool.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluegill For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast