Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White canvas painters tarps

Tracker
    Thanks

I used a painters tarp for my first fly. It leaked a little until it got wet and then sealed itself. At one time I tried to waterproof it using a 3M spray can product. It was expensive and not very effective. Later I used a product called "canvac" to waterproof my tent when it started leaking. I got it at "The Log cabin Shop". It is a bit pricey, but effective. Other People have used Thompsons on their lodges, but it tends to get stiff if laid on heavy. I would never spray waterproofing. It doesn't get the penetration or coverage you need. My friend sprayed canvac and it was running off his tent and didn't work. I rolled a 10x15 wall tent with a disposable roller used less than half a gallon and never had a problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 196 Posts

I used a Sherwin Williams Painters tarp and did the aforementioned hot wash method. It shrank nicely and works good for summer and snow. I haven't had it in the rain yet but so far so good with nothing more than the hot wash. I live in the Sierra Nevada's and it's very dry in the winters up here so moisture has not been a concern. Add a sew-in stove jack for $30 and it works great.

Your results may vary if you're in the pacific northwest and getting drenched...

Thanks

Thanks for the idea of using a painters canvas for tarp or even a haversack project. I bought a Rothco brand messenger bag and have already had to repair the shoulder strap. I like doing a little leather work as well so I should be able to some up with a combo idea for a haversack. Thanks again all!!!

Thanks

The first painters tarp I used, I was young and ignorant, I bought it, opened it, and set it up. It never did leak.

I would advise the boil and some sort of waterproofing though. I saw a tent made from the same thing and the people lost a lot of good stuff in a heavy rain and had to leave the camp a couple of days early because of it. Everything under the tent was soaked.

I guess I was just fortunate, don't know why. Like I said, I was young and ignorant.

Thanks

I bought one of those last spring. They work great. I also picked up a grommet kit at walmart and put grommets at the corners and along the sides for tie points. I haven't done anything else to it. Its been rained on several times and kept the ground under it dry.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to brush_loper For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm going to be picking one up of those drop cloths to make a pullover parka. Same idea as the blanket shirts, just bigger and used as an outer shell. Scraps will probably become a seat or some bags.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Willson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Willson View Post
    I'm going to be picking one up of those drop cloths to make a pullover parka. Same idea as the blanket shirts, just bigger and used as an outer shell. Scraps will probably become a seat or some bags.
    I like that idea. I have a tarp in the garage that I set up as a tent/tarp but now I have a BCUSA tarp and I think I will wash the canvas, make the parka and waterproof it. Thanks for the idea. I will need to find a pattern of some sort.
    Thanks
    Ed

10. The Following User Says Thank You to brains For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brains View Post
    I like that idea. I have a tarp in the garage that I set up as a tent/tarp but now I have a BCUSA tarp and I think I will wash the canvas, make the parka and waterproof it. Thanks for the idea. I will need to find a pattern of some sort.
    Thanks
    Ed
    I don't mean to hijack, but I am going with a simple pattern. Fold the canvas in half. The fold becomes the top, neck and arms. Cut a slit in the center for the neck, then only one seam to sew up each side. I'll look for the video I found on it for a blanket shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkMa7MAeZnc
    His fold towards the bottom confuses me, but just remember that the blanket is folded in half and the fold is at the top so when you cut it out the arms are already attached and just need the seam on the underside sewn. I think it will be easier to do than describe. DC also has a video on making a hunting shirt but his sleeves are seperate.
    Good luck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Willson For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Grillsgt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 323 Posts

This is a tent I made last year, I used mineral spirits and a tube of silicone mixture for the waterproofing.
    I mixed 1 gallon of mineral spirits to one tube of silicone and mixed it until the silicone devolved, then just laid the tent out on the driveway and painted it on with a paint brush, ad let it dry real good.
    This is me sewing some reinforcing strap to the bottom and tie off tabs for stakes

Here are the other pics of the completed tent

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Grillsgt For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

might have to find a uk supplier for these they look interesting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast