Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Steel Kukri

Thanks

Thumbs up Cold Steel Kukri

Hello guys. I recently picked up a cold steel kukri from my local surplus shop. Thought I'd write up a review. Here are is my thoughts:

The blade:

It looks cool! I always like the shape of the kukri and wanted to try it out. I noticed write away this thing was extremly dull. I tried it out on some brush and small saplings and I have to say, I wasn't impressed. It could barely clear brush. Small saplings (like even dime size thick) took a few chops to cut through. It was like cutting with a stick. Tried chopping on a 2x4, same results, unimpressed. My Trusty Condor Rodan was almost surpassing this 13 inch kukri.

After test, I made my way to the bench vise. I locked it in and broke out the file. Before even sharpening I noticed the edge was almost flat... The grind didn't make a fine edge in the least bit. I began filing and got the nearer part (to the handle) sharp pretty quick. The chopping section, not so much. For some reason it took alot more filing. You can probably make out in the picture how much more paint was worn off there. It took a while.

After sharpening, I was blown away. It made such a difference. It slice through the brush like hot knife in butter and went through saplings just as easy (one slice infact). I went to the 2x4. It ate it whole. It kukri proved true and sent chips flying.

The Sheath:

I'll come right out and say, this thing sucks. I guess for $27.95 though, I can't complain. I'd spend a few extra bucks for a decent leather sheath in this package. The nylon is "ballistic" nylon, but I don't see anything ballistic about this thing.

The Handle:

It fits decent in the hand, but I found the rear knobby on the handle dug into the padding on my lower palm. So I sanded it down and it works nicely now.

Overall:

I really like the machete now that I have it sharpened up and modded to taste. It's definitely worth what I paid and I definitely don't regret it. Its a great machete as long as you're willing to do a little modding. If your thinking about it, don't hesitate. Just be prepared, it comes dull.

Thanks for reading,
    Merc.

Only picture I have at the moment. I'll be sure to upload more sometime soon.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Merc.; 01-08-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Tracker
    Thanks

Ive got one of these but dont carry it anymore it seems like the steel is really soft so it stays in the garage as a beater. But yeah its a good machete glad to see someone haveing better luck with theres

Thanks
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 352 Posts

I have this and the larger one. They dont stay sharp. They spend lots of time in basement.

Tracker
    Thanks

I recently traded for a rubber handle one (I have heard the new handles are plastic but don't know for sure). I haven't had a chance to try mine out yet. I was planning on sharpening it first as it still has the original butter knife edge lol. Glad to see that you like yours.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leverett View Post
    Ive got one of these but dont carry it anymore it seems like the steel is really soft so it stays in the garage as a beater. But yeah its a good machete glad to see someone haveing better luck with theres
    Yeah, I have noticed the steel to be a bit on the soft side. I think its like 1055 or something like that. Around here there aren't any rocks so the only real thing i could imangine dinging the blade on is something man made maybe a hard knot. I can see how it'd be problems in rocky environment per say. Im sure they used the lower quality steel to save money as it was only 25 bucks.

It does seem to loose an edge after awhile as well. I'm sure I'm gonna have to kep a pocket file around when in the woods.

Tracker
    Thanks

Got mine for $11 from Cold Steel a couple years ago and have been happy with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 313 Posts

I have had one of these for years and i have to say it was a good buy at the time, the only differance this i know is that mine is marked as a carbon v and it holds an edge for ever with just the odd touch up.

try looking for them on evil bay, mine i only paid $20 10 years ago though.

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,251 Times in 817 Posts

Got one from a forum member for $10 shipped (had a busted handle, so they're clearly not indestructable).

Rehandled mine in some random hard-as-rock wood. The original wasn't a good fit for my hand at all, but this one works very well.

Definitely carry a file. These don't hold any edge whatsoever.

I don't usually carry a machete in the woods so this one pretty much sits in my batcave gear pile. It may get used in the yard a few times per year, or on certain trips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

These come dull when purchased. Cold Steel says its utility sharp....ok
    I re profiled my edge with 25 degree bevel and it functions well! It's a great bang for the buck machete!!! Mine get used a lot and they serve me well to process wood or clear saplings...
    I'm saving up to buy the CS Ghurka Kukri! I will review it when I get it and post it up!

Guide Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks

My cousin bought one from sportsmans warehouse for $20. It was about as sharp as a bowling ball. After 5 minutes on the knife grinder it would shave hair and cut through brush and branches with ease, he loves it.
    My knife is a TOOL not a weapon, unless by chance it absolutely has to become a weapon for survival. All this can also be said for my hammer, screwdriver, pen, hands, and so on and so forth......

Blade Scrounger #13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast