Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Mess With Chainmail

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Grizzix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 459 Posts

Default Anyone Mess With Chainmail

I'm not sure exactly how I could incorporate this into bushcraft. I was trying to come up with a unique gift for my wifes birthday and St. Valentine's Day next month and saw some pictures of chainmail jewelry. I figured I'd give it a shot. Worst case scenario, I fail miserably and move on to the next idea. Off to Hobby Lobby

This is a byzantine style chain that I made long enough for a bracelet.

I think it turned out well. I'm looking into other styles to do a necklace also. as far as bushcraft goes, I wonder if I could make a usable stainless steel pouch..?

Thanks for looking.
    Grizz

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Grizzix For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've made entire hauberks out of 14ga galvanized wire.... from spooling the wire around a dowel to cutting the rings and piecing it together. Made me crosseyed trying to keep all the rings straight. Little pouches are definitely doable... I have one running around here... somewhere.

Your byzantine chain looks great!

Edit: lots of resources for mail making here: http://www.mailleartisans.org/

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JPAZ357 For This Useful Post:

Banned Member Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,727 Times in 846 Posts

looks kinda cool

have made chain before but not chainmail

a chainmail bag would make a good strainer or maybe fill with hot coal to cook with in the bush

how heavy is it?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BushMetal For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

I have made a 14g hauberk and fought in it. It was quite heavy but not too bad once you were wearing it. I switched over to leather lamellar which was light and left less waffle shaped bruises when I got it. A 6 in 1 pattern with a lighter gauge wire may produce some nice looking jewelry. Good job making things with your hands. keep at it there is some fun things you can make with maille.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiffyguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

this is the last project i started and never finished. I kind of fall in and out of it because at first its fun then it turns into a chore.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JPAZ357 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Looks great Grizz! The chain itself can be "bushcrafty", or maybe add some small charms. I've made quite a bit of chainmaille jewelry, the shirts I stayed away from just do to the time involved. What are your rings? I used stainless, titanium, brass, copper, silver and gold filled wire. I stayed away from galvanized just do to the lead content if you were to get some old wire. The most fun I had was making a titanium byzantine bracelet and watching the looks when I threw it in a campfire. After pulling it out it was a nice blue color. Chainmaille, like leatherwork can be addictive watch out!

Bob

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CactusBob For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Let me talk to the wife she did chain mail and jewelry, she might have a few ideas.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garm For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: whether or not its "bushcraft", if you make it in the bush, or have a use for it in the bush, then I suppose it is BUSHCRAFT!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JPAZ357 For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Grizzix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BushMetal View Post
    looks kinda cool

have made chain before but not chainmail

a chainmail bag would make a good strainer or maybe fill with hot coal to cook with in the bush

how heavy is it?

Depends on the guage of links you use. My bracelet is light.

Grizz

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Grizzix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 412 Posts

I made quite a bit when I was SCA...mostly stainless with copper edging. I recycled bomb arming wire that came off our aircraft after a drop, since it was *great* wire and they would just put it in the dumpster. If you can, go with riveted maille instead of butted...you can go with much thinner wire, which makes it lighter (and overall less expensive), and it never needs tweaking to close links that get bent back open. Wedge rivets are easiest since you're using the same wire, and most of the tools are easy(ish) to make with some skill. The link "smoosher" can be the most challenging, since you want them consistent. If nothing else, pounding the links flat one-by-one works...it's how they used to do it.

Bushcraft use? You could cover the backs of gloves for whittling or knapping. Lanyards were pretty popular too---a friend of mine made a virtual business making wallet chains for bikers. They double as weapons, hehe.

Speaking of fine work, there's a museum in Germany (I forget where) that has a maille glove. The links are so tiny and the work so fine, that curators say it holds water...for a few seconds.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Airth For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast